Need webcam for PB (besides isight), suggestions?

M

mojo17

Any suggestions for a webcam I can use with my G4 PB running 10.4.3. I just can't spend $150 for a cam I will not use very often. I am particuarly interested in some actual success stories of users using some other products. Thanks

OP
B

badmojo

mojo17 said:
Any suggestions for a webcam I can use with my G4 PB running 10.4.3. I just can't spend $150 for a cam I will not use very often. I am particuarly interested in some actual success stories of users using some other products. Thanks

I use a Logitech QuickCam 4000 (usb) and iChatusbcam software. The software allows a usb cam to run on a Mac's usb port and works pretty well, in fact. Macs natively only support firewire cams and guess who makes the only one?

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/

Most other Logitech cams won't work with Macs, but the 4000 works pretty well, for about half the price of the iSight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Ditto on the ichatusbcam recomendation. I have used that with a logitech cam as well.

I would also like to point out that Firewire cameras that are natively supported by OS x also include DV camcorders, so if you have one of those (and a 4pin to 6pin firewire cable) you can try that out. If you have to buy one its not going to save you any $ though.

good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
There is also another company that makes a firewire webcam specifically for macs...
Not too sure of the name right now, but hunt around!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
First there's the iBot, which was themed for iMacs, and as far as I know is no longer made. There's also an iSweet, which is 110 bucks average, and has the same resolution as the iSight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Just remember that most if not all cheap USB cameras use a CMOS sensor rather than a CCD as the iSight does. This tends to give much poorer quality. From my limited experience I'd describe it as slightly unfocused and washed out.

Look for other firewire cameras. I havn't kept up, but know there have been a couple of others and they were less expensive than the iSight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.