Alternative to fsck?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a first-time poster and not very tech-savvy, so please forgive me for any mistakes or taboos in my query!

I am trying to repair my disk using the fsck -fy command from the startup menu (OS X 10.4.11), however, my "c" key is totally fried. I have tried finding ways to remap the key but anything that I've found to actually change a letter key can only be set AFTER the system boots. I tried the AppleJack program, which I was excited to try because of their menu system (disk repair just requires the "d" key! hooray!) -- but then I discovered that you have to type "applejack" in order to run it. And, of course, I can't, because of my "c" key. :'(

Does anyone know of any way to prompt the disk repair without use of the "c" key (very unlikely), or an alternative program that would allow me to do so? As you may have assumed, I don't have the installation discs, so that is not an option (this computer was a hand-me-down from a friend).

I really appreciate any help that anyone can give me, I have been looking everywhere for a solution and cannot find one anywhere.

Thank you SO much!

Oh, and I have a PowerBook G4, if that makes a difference!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sorry if this sounds like a flippant response, that's not the intention.

Why not just borrow or get a cheap USB keyboard?

OP
E
Reaction score
Why not just borrow or get a cheap USB keyboard?

No, not flippant at all! Actually I had considered that, but I wasn't sure if the USB input works before the computer is booted up. Do you know for sure that it does?

Thanks for your reply! :D

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The USB port has been used for keyboards and mice for a long time now and does come alive very early in the boot up to allow you to enter keys..so that will definitely work..

OP
E
Reaction score
The USB port has been used for keyboards and mice for a long time now and does come alive very early in the boot up to allow you to enter keys..so that will definitely work..

Thank you, I will try it, and update/close this thread if it works! Much appreciated :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.