No sound in any application!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"(Early 2011) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 Mac OS X 10.8.2
I tried to listen to a video on the interent but no sound came out at all. I tried all other applications that I knew played sound: iTunes, Audacity, file previews in Finder, and even other websites. The sound that comes on when you change the volume didn't even come on. I looked at the kernel log and found this:

kernel[0]: Sound assertion "( ( kIOAudioDeviceActive != fCurrentPowerState ) && ( kAppleHDAIOAudioDeviceForcedActive != fCurrentPowerState ) )" failed in AppleHDAEngine at line 1582 goto Exit

I was able to get the sound working again by sleeping it and then waking it up, but I'm just worried about this. Is this indicative of anything major that may come my way, or is it just a small hiccup?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears to be a one time glitch, probably an error with the site. I wouldn't worry about unless it happens again on a different site.

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"(Early 2011) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 Mac OS X 10.8.2
Ok, that's good. That has never happened to me before so it was only natural for me to worry, and the console output worried me quit a bit. Well, thanks for the answer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.