Second Mac Having Trouble

Reaction score
Hello I am a newbie here and definitely not a tech. I am actually on my 3rd Macbook Pro in as many years. My first one was older and was getting slow so I bought a new one. The second one was a Intel Dual Core but was the previous generation Macbook Pro. This computer also got extremely slow, Fan was coming on all the time. One night I turned it off and it never came on again. Was told by the tech that the motherboard was fried. My latest Mac (2.53 Intel Core i5) started having the same problems so I upgraded the Ram to 8gb. This seemed to help temporarily but I am back to the Fan coming on at full blast and the ball is spinning all the time and it is extremely slow.
The thing these computers have in common is that I backed up the old HD's and put the files on the new computers. I do some light video editing but these are just some smaller YouTube style vids I use on one of my sites. Other than basically being on the thing 24hours a day I don't think I am running anything too major.
I know you get alot of people with this type of problem and the answers are quite generic but this case is a little different I think as I know for a fact just by the way it is running that this Mac is doomed as well. I backup every hour and am just waiting for my 5 month old computer to die.

Please help if you can!

I attached a few pics from the Activity Monitor. Found it weird that it says 5.39 GB of ram is being used when just a few days ago I only had 4GB. Wonder what it was doing then.

I have run virus software as well which found nothing.

Screen shot 2012-01-30 at 9.10.20 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-01-30 at 9.10.08 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-01-30 at 9.09.45 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The system will simply use as much ram as it has available. So the fact that it's used 5.45 GB of ram isn't surprising. That said, most of it is in 'inactive', so this is ram that was previously allocated, but is not currently in active use (it's sitting waiting for those apps to reopen, it'll clear on it's own eventually). Now, if your system is revving up fans etc, randomly, without any real CPU usage.. I'd contact Apple. This is a NEW iMac, correct?

OP
M
Reaction score
The system will simply use as much ram as it has available. So the fact that it's used 5.45 GB of ram isn't surprising. That said, most of it is in 'inactive', so this is ram that was previously allocated, but is not currently in active use (it's sitting waiting for those apps to reopen, it'll clear on it's own eventually). Now, if your system is revving up fans etc, randomly, without any real CPU usage.. I'd contact Apple. This is a NEW iMac, correct?

Yes this is a newer system. This is giving me the exact same issues on 2 different machines now however. Fan comes on full blast when I am watching something on Youtube or a TV show etc. Always seems the video triggers it. Then everything runs super slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ohhhhh at least you have a trigger event! So this is when using Flash and Safari?

OP
M
Reaction score
I am currently fooling around with OnyX as was suggested in another post on this site

OP
M
Reaction score
Ohhhhh at least you have a trigger event! So this is when using Flash and Safari?

Well yes and no. I do not use Safari I use Firefox. I find it quite slow even when Movies aren't playing. Like when I just try to switch between tabs on Firefox it really hesitates before it activates the window but is tolerable. But is extremely slow when using flash player or using Wondershare video converter. Thought maybe Wondershare was the culprit at first but does it even when that program is not running.

OP
M
Reaction score
and make no mistake as I said in the original post... This computer is going to fry out it is just a matter of time before it happens. It is doing the exact same this as my other one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and make no mistake as I said in the original post... This computer is going to fry out it is just a matter of time before it happens. It is doing the exact same this as my other one.

Then call Apple. Get a case open. If it continues, despite their best efforts, they may replace it.

OP
M
Reaction score
well I just finished all the stuff on OnyX and the computer is just flying now. The memory has sure changed but I assume as I use more things it will go back to how it was?

Screen shot 2012-01-30 at 10.37.16 PM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
I downloaded a 9 minute video from Youtube and then had Wondershare re-burn it. The fan did come on while I did this but my memory never dropped below 4gb and nothing else slowed down. Fan just turned off while I am writing this. Possibly OnyX fixed this. I am keeping my fingers crossed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I would go as far as saying the video burner from wondershare is doing you no good.

Read this whole thread then the link chas_m posted. Spammers

OP
M
Reaction score
I would go as far as saying the video burner from wondershare is doing you no good.

Read this whole thread then the link chas_m posted. Spammers

Yes I thought that too at first but realized that I actually started using Wondershare AFTER this all started

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.