Help needed!!!

Reaction score
Unjailbreaking iPhone--Help needed!!!

Hey guys I'm new here and I need some help. I have an iPhone 4 on Verizon's network. I have it jailbroken on 4.2.6 with Greenposi0n. I'm getting tired to the jailbreak and I want to get rid of it. Only reason that I have the jailbreak in the first place is to have infinifolders. I want to upgrade to iOS 5 and I need to know how to do so. I do not want to lose anything that I have to my phone. I have over 1,500 photos and quite a few contacts that I need badly. Would I just need to upgrade the firmware or would I have to do a full restore? How would I be sure not to lose my photo's, contacts ect? Thanks for the help.

Not quite sure if I posted this in the right place or not. Move it where it should be if I didn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Backup - then update. As long as it is backed up - you should have all your data. I upgraded from 4.2.6 to 5.0.1 and it kept everything. I also jailbroke 5.0.1 but you don't need to. I went to 5.0.1 from the jailbreak then restored the phone. Everything was on there including photos.

That being said - I backed up to my hard drive - all my photos because that is one of the irreplaceable items. You can use preview to copy your media off of your phone just to be sure.

You should be able to just do an update - but if it doesn't work then do a restore - then a restore from backup of your data.

OP
I
Reaction score
Backup - then update. As long as it is backed up - you should have all your data. I upgraded from 4.2.6 to 5.0.1 and it kept everything. I also jailbroke 5.0.1 but you don't need to. I went to 5.0.1 from the jailbreak then restored the phone. Everything was on there including photos.

That being said - I backed up to my hard drive - all my photos because that is one of the irreplaceable items. You can use preview to copy your media off of your phone just to be sure.

You should be able to just do an update - but if it doesn't work then do a restore - then a restore from backup of your data.

I think that iOS 5's new features is definitely worth losing this jailbreak for. Thank you so much for the help. I will try it out and let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You don't have to loose jailbreak if you go to iOS 5 on iPhone 4. You just mentioned that you wanted to get rid of jailbreak. There is an iOS5 jailbreak for both the iPhone 4 and 4s now - so you can still jailbreak if you want to.

OP
I
Reaction score
You don't have to loose jailbreak if you go to iOS 5 on iPhone 4. You just mentioned that you wanted to get rid of jailbreak. There is an iOS5 jailbreak for both the iPhone 4 and 4s now - so you can still jailbreak if you want to.

I do want rid of it. I meant to say I'd rather have all the new iOS 5 features than just infinifolders. I think it's worth upgrading for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.