Create new account and use old setting from old account

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been having problems with a program where it doesn't run well on my main user account and I'm tired of trying to fix something that I don't fully understand so I want to move on to the next step.

As I said the program doesnt run well on my mian account but no issues when run with a different user account.

What I would like to do is create a new account but some how transfer the setting from my old account so that programs such as iPhoto, iTunes etc continue to work, if possible.

Is there a way to do what I'm describing above?

Can someone be so kind and show me the best way to acomplish this?

Thanks a lot

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's fairly simple if you're careful. Create the new account and give it admin privileges. Sign on to the new account. Copy everything from your old account to the new account. Test the new account to make sure all your programs run OK and nothing is lost. Once you have verified that everything is OK in the new account you can delete the old one.

OP
fs_tigre
Reaction score
I tried to copy the files from the old account to the new one but it doesn't let me replace the Library folder on the new account.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're trying to copy your old user library folder to the new account and not the system library folder? The reason I ask is because in Lion the user library folder is hidden by default. And you can not copy or move the system library folder.

OP
fs_tigre
Reaction score
You're trying to copy your old user library folder to the new account and not the system library folder? The reason I ask is because in Lion the user library folder is hidden by default. And you can not copy or move the system library folder.
I'm copying my old user Library folder. I basically unhidden the folder with the following command "chflags nohidden ~/Library/ ".

Thanks a lot for your reply!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case, it should have copied to the new user. Without that library folder being copied none of your apps and settings will carry over to your new account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.