Macbook can't eject DVD

Reaction score
I played a DVD on my MacBook OSX. It played fine, and still plays fine. I tried to eject the DVD, and the computer tried to do this. The DVD seemed to bump up against something, and the computer reloaded it. The port for the DVD is not blocked at the entrance. Can I safely take the screws out of my MacBook and see if the DVD player is dislodged? Is there something else I should try? If I take apart the computer, will it shut down the hard drive and effectively ruin the computer (someone told me some new ones do this)? What else do I need to know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Try booting with the left track pad/mouse button held down. Try shutting down and/or booting while holding down the Eject key. Try typing the following into Terminal, drutil tray open

OP
Z
Reaction score
Still not open

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, the problem is not that the computer won't eject the DVD. It seems to hit against something inside the computer, rather than coming out the slot. I think the component must be misaligned. Can I safely take the computer apart?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
That depends on how confidant you are on doing a good job. I can change a hard drive on my MacBook, but I don't think I'd try anything else.

There maybe stuff here that'll help:
Mac Repair - iFixit

OP
Z
Reaction score
MacBook surgery

Thank you. I will check out that link. I am confident in my ability to take things apart and put them back together the way I found them. My only concern is that I was told that some laptops now completely erase their hard drives if you open them up. I understand it's a safety feature companies want so that information is secure on their equipment. Do you know how to find out whether or not my model has this feature, before I start mucking about doing MacBook surgery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was told that some laptops now completely erase their hard drives if you open them up.
Never heard of that before.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Try inserting either a business card or index card half way into the slot. Such that you can feel the DVD. Then eject the DVD. Hopefully the card will guide the DVD out.

OP
Z
Reaction score
The card idea rocks! I'm going to try that before opening up the monster. I did call Apple, and the security feature that erases hard drives is not on this computer. However, they verified that some computers now have exactly that security feature, so beware!

Thanks for the help, folks!

OP
Z
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried the card idea, and it did not work for me - or else I did it wrong.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The idea is to get the card under the DVD.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks. It won't go under the DVD. Tried my drivers' license and a credit card. I think I'll find a screwdriver. The player must be out of alignment. It's nice to think I'm not alone here with this machine, though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Try a plastic coated playing card

and if beneath it doesn't work, try on top of fit. The screw driver may not be the right tool for the job.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just thought of something. Try flipping the laptop 180 degrees and back. The DVD may slip into proper alignment for ejection.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Yeah. Didn't work. You guys are great, though. I think it will be fun to take it apart, personally.

Reaction score
Solution

Hello. I have had this problem and also the solution. In my case and probably in yours too the problem is the optical drive bezel which sits between the optical drive and the external DVD slot. It is attached to the side of the enclosure and the discs pass through it first as it ejects to exit the external slot.

If this bezel warps in any way a disc may push against it, feel a bit of resistance, give up and decide to stay inside the drive. This was the case in my situation.

You have some choices.
1. Fix the bezel or
2. Replace the bezel

In my case I took out the bezel, manipulated it, bent it back into shape, stuck a small knife through it and turned it to widen the bezel. I kept putting a disc manually through it until I was satisfied it was going through it smoothly as I continued to manipulate the bezel. I then sat it back into the enclosure without screwing it down and checked the disc was moving smoothly through it until I was satisfied. I then put it all back together and this solution worked for me and it is now ejecting working fine.

I would like to add that if the problem returned, next time I would just buy a new bezel and install it. (available at iFixit) The instructions for doing this whole job can be found below in the below link to iFixit. Just follow the instructions carefully and use the correct tools. Also, a screwdriver with a flexible attachment that bends will be of tremendous help. Good Luck

Installing MacBook Core Duo Optical Drive Bezel - iFixit

PS. If you need to get a disc out in the meantime, what I did was insert a small coin into the external slot about 40% of the way, at the slot end closest to the front of the MacBook. As the disc tries to eject, Turn the coin towards you al little , anti-clockwise just a little firmly to create extra space in the slot while the disc is ejecting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.