New Macbook user=fail

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

hopefully I'm posting this in the right thread and apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I'm exhausted from looking.

I got a second hand macbook very reasonably, however it did not come with it's original discs. the machine was running 10.8.5 I believe.

I borrowed a friends 10.6.1 discs- also from a Macbook and when I tried to install, I was informed this would not work. Fair enough. I tried something in Disc Utility though, that I found on another forum and have subsequently wiped the hard drive.

The disc now loops between the useless restore section; which I dont understand well enough to see if I'm doing something wrong, and a white screen with a grey folder marked ? if the disc isn't in.

Is there any way I can sort this using these discs? I don't want to spend any more money ideally, I can't afford to. Please, let me know!

Reaction score
I think the most important part is: Which model and year Macbook is it? Once we know that it's easy to find out which OSX version would be supported supported. After that you'd have to buy the OS - $30 for Lion is not bad at all. If you need an older one, Ebay, Craigslist and such are good spots to get a better deal than paying full price.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I got a second hand macbook very reasonably, however it did not come with it's original discs. the machine was running 10.8.5 I believe.

Probably 10.5.8

I borrowed a friends 10.6.1 discs- also from a Macbook and when I tried to install, I was informed this would not work. Fair enough.

The disc now loops between the useless restore section; which I dont understand well enough to see if I'm doing something wrong, and a white screen with a grey folder marked ? if the disc isn't in.

Is there any way I can sort this using these discs? I don't want to spend any more money ideally, I can't afford to. Please, let me know!

Bottom line is you need a proper OS install disk...like this for a measly $29 bucks:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Sorry, I do have a proper OS install disc. It's not a copy or anything like that. I'm currently trying something else, but will edit the thread to show what year and model etc it is.

The disc says "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer". Then gives me the option of going into disc utility. Surely these genuine discs aren't my problem?

EDIT=

OK= I know jack about Mac's but I can't find a model number, year, anything. I can't get into "about this mac" cause I've wiped the thing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I do have a proper OS install disc. It's not a copy or anything like that. I'm currently trying something else, but will edit the thread to show what year and model etc it is.

The disc says "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer". Then gives me the option of going into disc utility. Surely these genuine discs aren't my problem?

No you don't have a proper OS install disk...for two reasons:

1. You're not supposed to borrow OS install disks from a friend (it's against Apple's EULA)!
2. The OS install disks you "borrowed" are from a different model Macintosh. Those gray disks are model specific...and that's why they aren't working on your MacBook!

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Ok- that seems to be the bottom of it then. The gray disks are the issue. That's something at least. My problem isn't sorted but at least my issue is (sort of) resolved. at least I'm not going mental.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok- that seems to be the bottom of it then. The gray disks are the issue. That's something at least. My problem isn't sorted but at least my issue is (sort of) resolved. at least I'm not going mental.

Just $29 bucks for an OS install disk (or equivalent cost where you're located)...and you will most likely be good to go!:)

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
So where can I find the model etc? If I need to buy a disc I don't want it to then be useless. It's not under the battery and I can't get into the system

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So where can I find the model etc? If I need to buy a disc I don't want it to then be useless. It's not under the battery and I can't get into the system

The OS install disk I linked from the Apple store will work on your MacBook. It's NOT a "gray" disk like the one you were using...it's a "Full Retail OS Install disk".

The gray disks ship with a new computer...but only work on the model they shipped with.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Most MacBooks have their information printed (in English, even!) on a little plaque inside the battery compartment (battery will need to be removed for this, of course).

It's possible (since we've never established what model this is) that your macbook is too old to run Snow Leopard. Before you spend the money, see if you can find out what model it is.

If its gray aluminum, you're good.

If it's white and very thin, you're good.

If it's black or white and not especially thin, you may or may not be good with Snow Leopard and we'll need more information.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

System Requirements

Mac computer with an Intel processor
1GB of memory
5GB of available disk space
DVD drive for installation
Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
Some features require Apple's MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
He needs an MAC OS NOT OSX he has a power pc mac !!

Who said he needs an Intel version? No one that I see! :D

My post shows the requirements for 10.6. Does not tell him to use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.