• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Kindle Fire is On Fire!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
Competition is a good thing for the consumer. Apple is still the device for me but I still keep an eye out for what else is being developed. As long as Apple doesn't stagnate and continues to be innovative in their lead in the tablet market they will keep me as a loyal fan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I agree Bob! The Kindle fire is a great price point for entry level tablets. I still believe the Transformer is the best android tablet out there. Competition will only make these tablets better.

Reaction score
I've got a Kindle Fire and the device is great. It does everything I ask of it -- plays my movies and shows (from Amazon and from Netflix), games, and web surfing. And with GMote, it controls my Mac almost as well as Rowmote does on my iPhone 4.

I only have three issues with it, really.
1 - The pixel density is too low for reading my Star Trek comics comfortably.
2 - Even at minimum brightness, the screen is too bright for reading before bed.
3 - It has trouble with all but the most basic PDF files.

Completely off topic: I've often lamented that they aren't making tablets with cellular connectivity. I don't need a pocket-size device, or even want one. An iPad with a bluetooth headset (and maybe an open-faced carrying case with handle) would be just perfect. A dashboard interface/charger mount in the car would be cool too - let the thing control my radio, be my GPS, call my wife, entertain the kids, and more. The ultimate all-in-one.

Reaction score
I have both the Kindal Fire and iPad2 both are very useful, the Kindal is sure not the tablet the iPad2 is but at $200US it's a good item to have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have both the Kindal Fire and iPad2 both are very useful, the Kindal is sure not the tablet the iPad2 is but at $200US it's a good item to have.

What is the use model? I love spending money but having an iPad 2 - I cannot justify a fire. I have a kindle e-reader with e-ink so I can get to the Prime lending library. The only thing I cannot get to is the Prime videos - but with Netflix I don't see that as a big deal. If I really want a Prime movie I can hop on a laptop.

So what do you use the fire for that can't be done on an iPad?

Reaction score
What is the use model? I love spending money but having an iPad 2 - I cannot justify a fire. I have a kindle e-reader with e-ink so I can get to the Prime lending library. The only thing I cannot get to is the Prime videos - but with Netflix I don't see that as a big deal. If I really want a Prime movie I can hop on a laptop.

So what do you use the fire for that can't be done on an iPad?

I use my Kindal Fire to hold pictures also some videos I make,and it's a lot safer carrying my KF around out in public then my higher priced iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My wife loves her Fire for the most part. Her biggest complaint is not about the device itself, but about how crappy the apps tend to be when compared to the same apps on the iPhone/iPad.

I attribute the popularity to it being a Kindle and a logical next step for the many users of the original Kindle who still wanted their books on their new device and liked Amazons style, It was surprisingly thicker than I imagined it would be but is seems like quite a nice device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.