Monitor Trouble

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to this site AND new to Macs so please forgive me if my questions are pretty ignorant :)

I have an office with many other people. One person was getting rid of their Mac G4 computer and I needed a computer so I said I'd take it. It was running OS 9.2 at the time. I just installed OS X (version 10.1.3 if that means anything to anyone) and I also got a Mac monitor from someone else. When I plug in the Mac monitor and turn on the computer, the screen turns on with a little Mac computer with a smiley face in the center of the screen. There is also a little moving rainbow wheel in the upper left hand corner. It will stay this way for around 30 seconds then turn black.

I have a second monitor and I tried plugging in the computer to that and everything works great(this second monitor isn't a Mac product).

My unjustified explanation for this is that the Mac monitor is trying to somehow communicate to the computer but they don't like talking to each other so the monitor just turns black and refuses to corporate.

Does anything actually know whats going on and if there's something I can do to fix this?

Thanks so much for your time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.