A new lag?

Reaction score
So, I've got myself a 2011 Macbook Pro. It came with OSX Lion, probably because it was CTO with a 750gb harddrive instead of the first one they choose for you.
Well, that harddrive failed about a month ago after I got in a bit of a wreck and my case got dented, so I replaced it with a 1tb harddrive from WesternDigital. It's a WD10JPVT. I've had no problems with it, and I've hardly noticed any slow down at all. I've been playing a lot of SWKOTOR - the first one - just because.
It's been great.

Well, now I'm having trouble running things again. It starts up fine, just slowly. I can execute programs and such, but there so much lag! Plus, when I start doing things that involve typing - i.e. Word 2011, Facebook, Terminal, this thread - iTunes music stops playing, as though I'm pausing then playing it very quickly. Also, scrolling is pretty bad.

A buddy of mine recommended Memtest OSX. I just bought and ran it, but everything exited with "ok." I dunno what to do now. My HDD is like a month old. I installed it myself, and everything went off without a hitch. The S.M.A.R.T. status is still Verified.

tl;dr My Macbook Pro has started lagging lately for no apparent reason. I think it's the RAM, but Memtest OSX didn't seem to find any problems.

ALL suggestions are welcome. I depend on this thing for school.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please read the "Beachballs" link in my signature...it provides some possible solutions or reasons for "slowness" issues.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Swap an paging were both at 0, but now it won't even boot up. I turn it off before I take it anywhere, including just from one class to another. It works just fine booting in my external recovery HD, but I can't get it to boot from a Ubuntu 11.04 LiveCD I've had lying around.
Any more suggestions? Anybody?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.