MBP External display wrong resolutions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 15" MBP
Hi,
First post here (I have searched extensively for an answer to this and can't find one).

I hava a 2011 15" Macbook Pro, and I have just got an external display for it which is an LG W2242T. It is a widescreen display with a max-res of 1680x1050 px

I have it connected to my MBP with the VGA adaptor.

When I connect it, I only have square (or non-widescreen) resolutions to choose from. These range from 800*600 to 1920*1080 (which the display can not support). None of the resolutions available are widescreen.

I am not mirroring the displays. I have reset the monitor to factory settings, and I have purchased Display Maestro from the app store. None resolve the issues.

I have three attachments with this email, the res from the external display, my MBP display and the arrangement window.

Can this be resolved?

Thanks in advance.

LG 1680x1050

Screen Shot 2012-01-30 at 11.16.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-01-30 at 11.16.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-01-30 at 11.16.41 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The problem could be that you're using VGA. Often TVs can't display the full range of resolutions over VGA. However, the manual for your TV does state that the analogue max input is 1680x1050.

So the likely issue is one of drivers (there are Windows monitor drivers on the LG website, but nothing for Mac).

I think you have three options:
1. Contact LG and see if they have an OSX driver in the works (not likely)
2. Connect using DVI - I can see from your screenshots the TV isn't recognised by name, just as a vga screen. DVI allows the TV to communicate it's capabilities back to the Mac so you'll likely be able to select a more appropriate resolution.
3. Find a generic driver tool that allows you to dictate the outgoing resolution - something like SwitchResX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.