50GB video file trapped on external drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac. OS X 10.6.4. Processor 2.8 Intel. Memory 4gb. HD 300gb
Hi Folks, I'm editing some footage my client has provded on an external drive. The 2 main clips are 55gb and 30gb.

I have been trying to transfer the clips over to my mac but I keep getting errors.

So far I have unsucccessfully tried:
1. Dragging the clip over to my imac (I have 70gb of space)
I did this overnight so my working on it would not effect it.
2. Compressing the file on the drive.
3. Opening clip in QT and saving onto imac.
4. Splitting the clip with Simplyrar.

If anyone has any advice it would be really appreciated.

He wants the HD back tomorrow so I need to sort this :'(

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Do the clips play ok 'in place'?

If you're happy the clips are 'intact' then it may well be the external drive that's giving you issues (controller resetting, controller failing, disk failing etc).

Try using a Sync app to do the copy (this way if a transport error occuring the transfer will be automatically resumed). Something like SyncTwoFolders for Mac but the are many others on the Mac App store.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac. OS X 10.6.4. Processor 2.8 Intel. Memory 4gb. HD 300gb
Thanks for the response, I've tried using SyncTwoFolders but it just stops halfway through leaving any empty folder.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Going back to MRPLOW's question of whether the files will play in place on the external HD. If they do, can you load them and do a file export to your internal drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Thanks for the response, I've tried using SyncTwoFolders but it just stops halfway through leaving any empty folder.

You can then restart it.

If it keeps failing then I'd definately suggest that the disk and/or file are failiing/corrupt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.