Webpages timing out

Reaction score
Hi,

I am using a MacBookPro with Leopard 10.5.8. I am able to access most websites normally, however many have been timing out when I try to perform certain functions. I have reinstalled Firefox, cleared my cache, removed my cookies (via the FF pref box, and I also tried to do it manually), tried to delete some pref files manually then restarted, and attempted to change my DNS but didn't get very far and just reverted back after to the initial settings.

Here are some examples of what's happening while using FF, Safari, and Chrome:

1. I can access the main Carbonite.com page, but the page times out when I attempt to log into my account (I've contacted them as well as my ISP, Verizon, and neither knows why after hours on the phone running diagnostics, which makes me think its a mac issue).

2. I can browse Overstock.com and use the links, however the page times out when I attempt to run a keyword search in their top "search" bar or view individual products when their picture is clicked on.

3. I can browse Amazon.com, use the links, and even view individual products when their picture is clicked on. However, the page times out when I attempt to add something to my cart.

4. The main Facebook.com page times out, except on Chrome it was working (I used to access it all the time using FF about a week ago so this is new).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Pls keep in mind that I am not a technician so need layman's terms if possible. Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may be a DNS issue. Try changing your DNS servers in System Preferences, Network, Advanced, DNS. Click on the small plus sign at the bottom and try these two servers:

Those are the Google Public DNS servers and are usually faster and more responsive from those of most ISPs.

OP
A
Reaction score
thank you! when I tried doing that the originals were greyed out. how do i know if it's using the new ones?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the original was greyed out it was likely the address of your router. If you added the ones I gave you above, they're being used. Let us know if it helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.