Dual monitor - two macbooks

Reaction score
I have both a macbook pro and a macbook. I wish to use the second macbook as a second monitor for my macbook pro. Is this possible? What cable would I need to connect the two?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Possible? Yes. Practical? No.

The MacBook/MacBook Pro doesn't have an "input" for video. So, you need a peripheral that will allow for a source to be displayed on the screen. There are certain video capture devices that can do this... but for the cost, you might as well go out and buy a dedicated monitor. For the cost of a capture device and the loss in quality you'll experience as a result, it would be far more worth it to pick up a nice 19" monitor and call it a day.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The only way I can think to do this is through a program called ScreenRecycler. I used an earlier version of it for a while with my iBook as a second monitor for my Mac Pro.

Since the iBook was connecting through wireless screen redraw was slow even though I was only using it for email and tool palates in things like Photoshop. Some of the speed loss could have been my network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.