Firefox proxy issues on Windows Network

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a Mac running OSX version 10.6.8 running on a windows based corporate network, we use a proxy server and firefox keeps asking for user credentials every time you fire it up.
Doesn't happen with Safari, and once you enter the credentials it works fine, but on startup the message reads: Authentication Required - The proxy [proxy address] is requesting a username and password.

I have set the proxy settings in firefox and system network settings, not sure what's going on, please help :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
P.S. Firefox version is 3.5, is that really old?

Yeah, it is quite old, seeing as Firefox is up to version 9 now. Unfortunately, this is something I've experienced on my own corporate network, even on Windows.

I would update it first and see if there's any difference.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah we're starting to see it on some windows machines as well. Thanks :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
3.5 was released two and a half years ago which is an eternity in browser development. I understand that corporate environments have requirements that prevent them from upgrading so quickly so you might be happy to hear that Mozilla is going to have extended support releases for newer versions. More info here. In essence, they will support a browser for a year (54 weeks to be specific) which is the time equivalent to roughly eight releases with Mozilla's new release schedule.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks vansmith, I've tried versions 7 & 9, still doing the same thing. Apparently it's a bluecoat proxy, not sure if that matters?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.