New to Mac folders and manipulationf them

Reaction score
I know how to make my way around PC's moving, copying, pasting, creating, folders, and sub-folders. I can't figure out how to do it on my iMac.

Specs are: OSX version 10.6.8, build 10K549 2.66 GHz core 2 duo, 2 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I need someone to walk me through this activity:

1. Find where my data is stored on a Mac for a software synth called Sample Tank. On a PC, I simply go into WE and go to: program files;IK Multimedia;Sample Tank 2.x;instruments. All my instruments are there in Folders named piano, bass, etc. I can then create a new sub-folder called Ron's Instruments, and sub-folders in that called Piano, Bass, etc. I then can find my most used instruments quickly by moving all the pertinent files into their respective sub-folders in the folder called Ron's Instruments. How the heck do I do that on my Mac? I can't find the folder for Sample Tank anywhere. There is the file for ST in applications, but no way to open folders contained in it. OR, maybe it is a completely different process on Mac and you all can help a guy out. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Use Spotlight. (the magnifying glass in the upper right corner)
Enter the name of one of the files. It should show you the location, and you can click to go there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
That may not work. I don't know where sample tank on the Mac stores it's samples. If it is within the .app package - then spotlight will not find it. Also if it is within the ~/Library - on Lion it won't find it - I don't remember if snow leopard searched in there.

You can look inside an .app package by right (ctrl) clicking -> Show Package contents. It will open the .app as a folder and you can browse around in there. There is a terminal way to search around as well but see if you can see your Synth files inside the Package first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.