Boot Camp problem

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a complete noob with this stuff so bear with me.

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro with Boot Camp. I don't have the install disk for the Mac, so I selected "Download the Windows support software for this Mac", but as soon as the download screen starts I get a popup that says "The Windows support software is not available."

So my question is ...***? How do I fix it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you would tell us which MacBook Pro (year and model) you have and what version of OS X it's running, we may be able to help. The reason we need that info is not all Macs require downloading support software to install Windows.

Only the late 2010 and all 2011 models are required to download supporting software from Apple in order to install Windows. And those models can only run Windows 7.

Reaction score
same problem

Hello, I have the same problem as OP, but with Windows Vista 64bit instead. I'm on a 2008 MacBook Pro 4,1 with Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

I get the same issue and I'd really like to know if I can just download the support software somewhere externally, or if I even need them. Will Windows just not work if I don't download those drivers?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Windows needs those drivers to run certain of your machine's hardware properly, such as the wireless connection and any external monitor. Others have reported issues with mice, and USB devices. Your Snow Leopard install disc that came with your Mac has all the drivers you need to start - just insert the disc while running windows and the drivers should auto-load. Once done, you can also update Boot Camp from within Windows.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The best solution is to go out and purchase a Snow Leopard install disc. Only $29.00 if still available from Apple online.

Reaction score
And no, that's not what you're looking for. It's helpful but you will separately need the drivers. I agree that just spending the $29 for the disc is the way to start. Then you can download and use the BC update.

Cheers

Reaction score
Please start a new thread and then give us more info on your Mac - including what version of OSX you are using and what, if anything, you have already tried to do and with which version of Windows.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.