I messed up my iPhone 4 - PLEASE HELP?!

Reaction score
Jailbroken.

Added the "android style lock screen"

I do have access into the phone.

However, when i tried to update my software, it said it was password protected. And i can't update the phone at all until i unlock it with the password. I've gone through 9 attempts. I can't remember what the password was.

Since I can physically get into the phone, get into settings, what not.. can i fix this somehow?

I can get into the phone with my android-style unlock diagram, but don't remember the password behind that.

Worst case scenario-> I have to restore it. My dog ran past my laptop and it fell to the ground. Hard drive was ruined. I have a new computer. DO NOT have my backup data saved. that would be the easy fix.

Can i somehow save my contacts, and my pictures/videos to ANYTHING and then recover them later? Email client is non responsive/doesn't work.

I really just want to save the 482 pictures that i have had since my iphone 3G. Contacts would be nice. i dont care about the games of course, or even music, that's all on my ipod.

Am I SOL?
Please advise.

ios 4.3.3 (8j2)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What update are you talking about? What exactly is supposedly password protected? Is it not your iTunes account?

OP
D
Reaction score
not my itunes account, the actual phone unlock.

Usually, you slide the unlock bar, your password lock comes up. you put in your password, 4 digits, or the word itself.

i replaced this with the android-style diagram lock (swipe your finger in the right pattern on the screen to unlock the phone) 3rd party jailbroken app through cydia.

This app will get me into the phone, but only bypasses the actual password that i put on the phone in the first place.

So i can get into my phone, but i'm never actually "unlocking" the password.

this means when i plug my phone into my computer, it says "this iphone is password protected, please unlock it to access it's contents" Or something very similar to that.

So i can unlock it with the android style unlock, but it doesn't tell the phone i've put the password in, so i have no access to sync, or add photos, music, anything.

my phone is also hosting a bunch of other problems i'm assuming are related to the jailbreak. i.e. camera shutter not opening, lock/unlock button not working, failing to ring/vibrate.

I want to restore the phone, to get rid of my jailbreak, but i need to disable the actual password lock that is still on the phone. so i can save all my pictures/contacts.

I hope this makes sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Have you tried forcing the phone into recovery mode? The problem with it is that it is going to clear everything from your most recent backup forward, but it may be the only way to get it done...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your only possible hope is to figure out how to access the filesystem on the device and uncover the passcode. In doing some reading, it has been shown to be possible here:
Fraunhofer cracks iPhone password in 6 minutes, exposes stored passwords [video]

This is a year old, so this vulnerability may have been patched since.

Since you SHOULD have access to the filesystem, being jailbroken already, then it should be a trivial matter to find your pictures and videos, then transfer them using SSH to a desktop. Contacts… not so sure what you can do.

OP
D
Reaction score
here's the thing, it doesn't even show up on my computer when it's plugged in.. how would i get access to the filesystem?

i would do a restore but this new comp. doesn't have a save point or back up on it.

OP
D
Reaction score
i do have access to my pictures on the phone, but i have no way of getting them off the phone.. the contacts i can copy down manually, necessary. but the pictures/videos i have no way to get to without texting them to another device and that just ruins the quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here's the thing, it doesn't even show up on my computer when it's plugged in.. how would i get access to the filesystem?

It's jailbroken. You have access to the filesystem from the iPhone itself. There are file browsers on Cydia that will let you go anywhere you please.

i would do a restore but this new comp. doesn't have a save point or back up on it.

Lesson learned… keep backups!!!

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, i got into the filesystem.

The program i'm using is called iLock.

I can't find where passwords might be. I tried following the video but it's not synonymous with the options in the filesystem.

is there any way someone could put this into laymans terms for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, i got into the filesystem.

The program i'm using is called iLock.

I can't find where passwords might be. I tried following the video but it's not synonymous with the options in the filesystem.

is there any way someone could put this into laymans terms for me?

Sorry, but like I said, that video is using a method that may be outdated long by now. Passwords are intended to keep one's data safe and are not causally bypassed. That would defeat the point in having one. I don't know IF there is a way around this for your combination of device and iOS version. You'll have to do your own legwork on this, but it sounds like you are lacking in the technical skills to pull this off. In the future, I can only recommend you keep backups of your computer and keep track of your passwords.

Reaction score
goto /var/mobile/Library/Preferences
copy any files that have iLock on them for example com.blahblahblah.ilock.plist to your desktop open them with a plist editor (there are plenty of free ones all over the net) in there it will contain settings to turn the password lock on or off sometimes even the password it self. if not you can delete them altogether and reboot this MAY OR MAY NOT disable the app from loading or load without any preferences if all goes wrong you can always put the files back. all your contacts and pics are stored on backups on your computer anyway you can use iphone backup extractor on your computer to get them all back.

DONT BLAME ME IF YOU STUFF UP THE PHONE, JUST DFU MODE AND RESTORE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.