Time machine does not work any more!

Reaction score
OK, i have 2 macbooks that back up to the same external hardrive. One macbook backs up fine as it always has done. The second has only started having problems. When plugged in and i start back up the back up always stops at 331.11mb. I have deleted the old backup files for this macbook to start from scratch but still no joy. I have also tried it on a new hardrive and still joy!

Running 10.6.8

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Run Disk Utility on the second MacBook to see if the internal hard drive has any errors. You'll need to boot it from the Snow Leopard install DVD, accept the language, skip the install. Go to the top menu, Utilities, Disk Utility, highlight the drive on the left and choose verify and repair on the right side from the First Aid Tab. Let's see what it says.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have done as you said, it repaired a few things and stated it was successful. I then ran the backup again (time machine) and it just stayed at 303.2 MB out of 99.55 GB.

thoughts please

Cheers
Rosslyn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the internal drive on that MacBook is having problems. Even though Disk Utility said repairs were successful, I suspect the drive may be hanging up. It can't be the external drive because your other machine is OK and you tried backing up to different drive.

OP
R
Reaction score

Do you think I need a new drive, if so how do I get all my apps, conf files etc over to a new drive if I can't back it up?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can't do a direct copy (not using Time Machine) with either the Finder or the use of a program such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, you may have to resort to data recovery software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.