Screen saver blocks sleep

EAR

Reaction score
I try to put the "computer" to sleep with Mac OS 10.4.11
(16! Apple added a pile of updates after the .11 Combo update)
over a G5, model 7,3 with 2 PPC G5(3.1) cpu:s fully firmware updated
and all wake up options unchecked in the OS
and no antivirus, security, or "cleaning" software installed or MacKeeper
and no user programs open.

I have set the screen saver to open after 10 minutes (to warn me),
the screen to sleep after 15 minutes and
the"computer" to sleep after 30 minutes.
I have to enter password to open the screen in all cases.

However, the screen saver appears to remain open and 'buzzes' the "computer" alive every 10 minutes, but not the screen.

Glancing over similar and related issues (e.g. Energy Saver) in other threads, I find that Apple has a can of worms here and reaching all the way through 10.7.

How does one reach Apple and persuade it to clean up from 10.4 and all the way up ? :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Uh yeah, Apple isn't going to provide any more updates to 10.4. Ever.

As for your problem… my Mac sleeps just fine despite the screen saver. Something else is waking your Mac (Wake-On-LAN setting perhaps), or you maybe you simply have a corrupt preference file.

OP
E

EAR

Reaction score
"Uh ... yeah .." why not cf.:
... "(16! Apple added a pile of updates after the .11 Combo update)" ...
and cf.:
" ... and all wake up options unchecked in the OS ... "
and preference files are Apple's job.
and how do You know, that Your computer actually IS sleeping ?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you feel you have a bone to pick with Apple, by all means go ahead. Apple has a support website and we are not at all affiliated with Apple. Nor are you likely to get a lot of interest or sentiment for your situation here.

Most of us moved on from Tiger (10.4) a long time ago and believe in Apple's choice to move on rather than be forever wed to legacy OSes. Those who are still running Tiger on older Macs don't appear to be having the problems you are.

Jus my opinion FWIW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple released Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) in April 2005, and it was superseded by Mac OS 10.5 in October 2007. The last update for 10.4 was in 2009 for security issues present in 10.4 and 10.5. Not for bug fixes. Not to add new features. To address security issues that it just happened to have in common with 10.5. Apple is not going to work on bugs, perceived or real, on an OS that has, at this point, been superseded by 3 new OS releases. You can futilely demand to them that they do so; move on; or let us help you figure out what the REAL problem is with your system. Your choice.

OP
E

EAR

Reaction score
Screenserver blocks sleep

To MacRazer:

Not being affiliated would be a strength, if not frittered away.

Concerning
"Those who are still running Tiger on older Macs don't appear to be having the problems you are."
Cf. Threadhead:
"Glancing over similar and related issues (e.g. Energy Saver) in other threads, I find that Apple has a can of worms here and reaching all the way through 10.7. "

OP
E

EAR

Reaction score
Screensaver blocks sleep

To Live on the beach:

Cf. threadhead:
"Glancing over similar and related issues (e.g. Energy Saver) in other threads, I find that Apple has a can of worms here and reaching all the way through 10.7."

For knowledge of "what the REAL problem is with your system" is cf. Threadhead.

For thinking: It's never to late to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ummmm…. what? Ah never mind. I fear an explanation would just make my head hurt more.

OP
E

EAR

Reaction score
I try to put the "computer" to sleep with Mac OS 10.4.11
(16! Apple added a pile of updates after the .11 Combo update)
over a G5, model 7,3 with 2 PPC G5(3.1) cpu:s fully firmware updated
and all wake up options unchecked in the OS
and no antivirus, security, or "cleaning" software installed or MacKeeper
and no user programs open.

I have set the screen saver to open after 10 minutes (to warn me),
the screen to sleep after 15 minutes and
the"computer" to sleep after 30 minutes.
I have to enter password to open the screen in all cases.

However, the screen saver appears to remain open and 'buzzes' the "computer" alive every 10 minutes, but not the screen.

Glancing over similar and related issues (e.g. Energy Saver) in other threads, I find that Apple has a can of worms here and reaching all the way through 10.7 !

How does one reach Apple and persuade it to clean up from 10.4 and all the way up ? :Not-Amused:

Addendum 2/1/12:
Glancing over similar and related issues (e.g. Energy Saver) in other threads, I find that Apple has a can of worms here and reaching all the way through 10.7 !

I would like to collect posts about the same or related issues like above to see, which incidents are not explainable within correct OS operation. I would then try to compile tentative explanations for misbehaviors and try to enlist Apple Support for solutions.

To this end I request affected readers to post their similar problems in the thread "Screen saver blocks sleep". This is better than that I miss a lot through ignoring threads about superficially different problems.

Perhaps the format above can serve as template for reporting.
N.B.:As different Mac models may behave differently, it is important to specify the affected computer in detail e.g. as above.

Please notify anybody else You believe to be affected.
Success will largely depend on You !

Thanks for Your cooperation !

OP
E

EAR

Reaction score
Dear "RazorMac",
I couldn't reply @ 'Sleep mode with latest security updates on Powermac g5', because that thread unfortunately is closed, though that title now is more pertinent than 'Screen saver blocks sleep'.
Thus, I copy Your message here for all to see, and trust, that You will find Your way here:

" @EAR
Honestly, I have tried to understand where you are coming from . . . But something isn't clicking. All I see is that foe some reason you don't understand:

1) We are not Apple, nor are we affiliated with them. If you want to send them a message go right ahead. No one is questioning your right to do it. But posting these garbled messages here isn't going to do it

2) You seem to being wanting to stir some kind of "grass roots" outrage. But, I doubt you will find many here having whatever problem it is that you do have (still not understanding where you are coming from on this) "

It seems regrettable, that You don't " understand where you are coming from . . ."
Nevertheless, I will try to be plain enough for You:

,0- I come from a problem
.1- to Mac Forums — independent/unaffiliated forums about Mac problems (wrong?)
.2- I describe my perception of my problem as succinctly and completely as I know
.3- I state my endeavor to correct the problem
.4- I invite all to contribute knowledge about the problem

As for " these garbled messages ", I'm confident, that You are speaking for Yourself
As for " wanting to stir some kind of "grass roots" outrage ": How about Yourself ?

I herewith politely invite You out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im lost in this thread . . . . Confusing to say the least :(

OP
E

EAR

Reaction score
Yeah, You have my sympathy. Some computing problems are more complex than others / EAR

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I herewith politely invite You out

I don't understand this unless you are asking me to ignore future posts by yourself.
If that is the case, then I will be glad to comply since:
1) We don't appear to be able to communicate
2) You still seem to be unable to understand that
a) We are here to help SOLVE problems (and you don't seem to be looking for technical help)
b) Whatever problem it is that you do have, you have so far failed to adequately communicate it to us. I understand if English is not your primary language (don't know if it is or isn't) that that in itself can be a problem
c) My "garbled" comment refers to the above, because you continue to restate and copy verbatim words (that while perhaps perfectly clear to yourself) leave us scratching our heads, wondering what you really are trying to say

Now, if you want to start over from the beginning and let us try to help you work through your technical issue, you will probably get some assistance (whether we can fix it is another thing)

But if all you want is a soap box to stand on, suggest you are wasting your time here.

Razormac Out

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There is a gap in communication here that is being exacerbated by a lack of clarity. EAR, it would benefit all of us if you reposed your question in a clear and concise manner so that we can assist you. As it is now, we are having a hard time deciphering your questions/concerns.

If your question is still about your sleep issues, it has been answered.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Yeah, You have my sympathy. Some computing problems are more complex than others / EAR

Arrogance won't help you here. The fact is - you have a cryptic method of posting - that I too am having trouble following. While you have managed to communicate your frustration and attitude clearly - everything else is being lost in translation. Take a deep breath - nothing here is worth getting your pulse up over - and then we can start over. If you want help troubleshooting - that has already been offered here.

OP
E

EAR

Reaction score
I feel suffering from the misapprehension, that Mac Forums strove for corrections/solutions to problems. This sometimes requires data collection, which was my aim to start with. I feel treated with lackadaisical arrogance and condescension in attempts to shy away from laziness/incompetence from the very beginning by "life is a beach" and "RazorMac". If You read all from the beginning as carefully as it is presented, I'm sure You will understand. The problem requires code patching in 10.4.11 all the way through 10.7, probably due to the security updates, and would be well worth a submission to Apple, which I am quite willing to expedite, when I feel I have enough data from Mac Forums.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I feel suffering from the misapprehension, that Mac Forums strove for corrections/solutions to problems. This sometimes requires data collection, which was my aim to start with. I feel treated with lackadaisical arrogance and condescension in attempts to shy away from laziness/incompetence from the very beginning by "life is a beach" and "RazorMac". If You read all from the beginning as carefully as it is presented, I'm sure You will understand. The problem requires code patching in 10.4.11 all the way through 10.7, probably due to the security updates, and would be well worth a submission to Apple, which I am quite willing to expedite, when I feel I have enough data from Mac Forums.

I don't really see their posts in that context. By all means though, Apple has a portal for bug reports - I'm sure they'll be happy to receive yours although I doubt any OS prior to 10.6 is really being heavily supported.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The responses you saw earlier were posted with no arrogant intent. I can vouch for each of those members and know that they were only trying to help.

Part of the problem also lies in your claim. You've made a claim about a sleep issue that has plagued OS X for four major releases but have provided no evidence. You also made statements that are borderline conspiratorial such as asking us if our computers actually are asleep.

So, let's start over. What evidence do you have to support your claim that this is a common issues across multiple versions?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I don't know why I am bothering to respond. But, you have insulted me and Lifeisabeach without any provocation that I can see.
Whether I am personally lazy (probably some truth here) or incompetent (also probably some truth here as well), I have not insulted you and have gone out of my way to be helpful, though you don't see it as such.

So, take this for what it is worth, but the basic issue here (other than your attitude) is poor communication. Something that you (and we all) should always understand is:

1) Clarity of message is the responsibility of the ONE speaking. It is up to the one delivering a message to monitor feedback and then clarify, repeat and/or restate in such a way that the message can be understood by the receiver

2) It is the reponsibility of the RECEIVER to provide feedback as to how the message was received. If the receiver fails to understand the fault is on the transmitting side so long as the receiver does its part by providing feedback

This appears to be a life lesson you have not yet learned and it will profit you well if you take it to heart.

OP
E

EAR

Reaction score
The responses you saw earlier were posted with no arrogant intent. I can vouch for each of those members and know that they were only trying to help.

Part of the problem also lies in your claim. You've made a claim about a sleep issue that has plagued OS X for four major releases but have provided no evidence. You also made statements that are borderline conspiratorial such as asking us if our computers actually are asleep.

So, let's start over. What evidence do you have to support your claim that this is a common issues across multiple versions?

I have tried to investigate in order to get evidence. The most useful has been the closed thread "'Sleep mode with latest security updates on Powermac g5' "

Furthermore: Isn't a correction/solution of value to all ? Isn't it worth an attempt ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.