Wi-Fi on MBA 2011

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13" 2012, 1.8GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5
Problem- multiple networks in my area (20+) so Airport goes 'looking for new networks' which means my preferred network freezes for 20-30 seconds. Repeatedly. Infuriating! Similar question has been asked but the answer given has no effect, for me. How can a network be "locked' or all others blocked to prevent this search starting??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
In System Prefs/Network uncheck 'Ask to join new networks' then go Advanced/Wi-Fi and drag your own preferred network to the top of the list

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In System Prefs/Network uncheck 'Ask to join new networks' then go Advanced/Wi-Fi and drag your own preferred network to the top of the list

Thanks Pendlewitch

Have to conclude it cannot be done; tried ALL permutations in the settings but the search for networks continues. This is a serious flaw in the system, for me.:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you download an app called istumbler and see if any of the networks' channels conflict with yours and try changing to a different channel?

Also, is your router up to scratch? Does it need a reset, or a firmware update, is it dual band ?

These things can all add up.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks- I don't know any of that stuff, will give it a try!

No router, just the Airport internal thingy; all my software is up to date and I use Clean My Mac often (seems a good application)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Going back to your original question..are you saying that you can't connect to the internet at all? Are you trying to connect to A.N.Other's network?

From the info you give in your last post you don't appear to have a wireless router, so my next question is do you have a broadband modem?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I have is my MBA, no external hardware- connecting wirelessly via 'Airport'.

The profusion of local Wi-Fi networks causes Airport to hunt continuously which stops my browsing activity. Clicking on the Airport symbol in the bar across top of screen shows the greyed-out "Wi-Fi: Looking for networks..." with a spinning 'spoked wheel'.

There is no option to stop this process...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you say no external hardware do you mean that you have no broadband connection of your own?

The Wi-Fi activity you describe is normal when you click on the icon. One of the networks listed underneath should be ticked.

EDIT : Apologies if I appear to be misunderstanding the situation but under normal circumstance you must have a broadband enabled telephone connection and a modem to connect to it, you either hook up to the modem by ethernet cable or wirelessly if the unit is a combined modem and wireless router (or sometimes these items are separate)

If you have this then you need to physically choose to connect to that network by clicking on it in the list underneath the Airport icon.

Alternatively you will need a password to connect to A.N.Other's wireless connection if it is protected. The owner must of course be aware that you intend to do this.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
<<The Wi-Fi activity you describe is normal when you click on the icon. One of the networks listed underneath should be ticked.>>

Normal- yes; desirable?- No; I installed one of the network detection programs you suggested and found that only 2m away the signal was better and this 'hunting' behaviour much reduced- in effect, a fix! Thanks again for your efforts

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.