unarchiving zip files

Reaction score
Please tell me a more appropriate forum to be in if this one is not the right place.

I just purchased some music online which arrived in my computer as 4 zip files. (It's the new 76-song Amnesty International Dylan tribute, Chimes of Freedom.)

It used to be that I could double click on a zip file and it would automatically unarchive. Not any more. I wonder if it is because of my recent OS upgrade?

I am using an iMac with OS X 10.7.2. The version 2.7.1 Unarchiver.app says it can't extract this .zip file.

I also have VLC v.1.2.12 which does odd things to the .zip files. I've googled unarchivers but it's a whole big confusing world out there.

Any suggestions on what I might do to open these 4 zip files with all this glorious music in them?

Thanks.

OP
P
Reaction score
Please tell me a more appropriate forum to be in if this one is not the right place.

I just purchased some music online which arrived in my computer as 4 zip files. (It's the new 76-song Amnesty International Dylan tribute, Chimes of Freedom.)

It used to be that I could double click on a zip file and it would automatically unarchive. Not any more. I wonder if it is because of my recent OS upgrade?

I am using an iMac with OS X 10.7.2. The version 2.7.1 Unarchiver.app says it can't extract this .zip file.

I also have VLC v.1.2.12 which does odd things to the .zip files. I've googled unarchivers but it's a whole big confusing world out there.

Any suggestions on what I might do to open these 4 zip files with all this glorious music in them?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
You can always use unzip from the command line.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I don't know how to do that. You mean like writing code?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
You should be able to open the Terminal.app located in:
Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app
On the command line use the cd (change directory) command to navigate to where the zip file is located. If it's on your Desktop the command would be something like:
cd /Users/yourusername
Then just type unzip and the file name:
unzip yourfilename.zip
That should open the file for you.
There is also a help menu if you type:
man unzip
Hit the return key or spacebar to scroll down through the instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Download Pacifist. When open dont donate yet. Then in the window that says open package click on that and navigate to the zip file. Open it and should bring you up a list of all the contents you want to extract.
Click all the files you want to extract then hit the 'extract to' tab up the top and navigate to where you want the files to go, click choose then 'extract'.

Hope you have your music.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you go to your other thread (No need to double post) i left a answer to your problems, but with a copy and paste ;

Download Pacifist. When open dont donate yet. Then in the window that says open package click on that and navigate to the zip file. Open it and should bring you up a list of all the contents you want to extract.
Click all the files you want to extract then hit the 'extract to' tab up the top and navigate to where you want the files to go, click choose then 'extract'.

Hope you have your music.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post. (posting the same question to more than one forum)

And pay attention to the forum descriptions before posting. I moved and merged the threads here where they belong.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.