Word 2011 changing user information permanently

Reaction score
I have read something related to this in a previous post, but it seems it still gives me problems. I am trying to get the return address in envelopes to default to another return address. It is using my personal info in preferences. I have changed the personal info but it still pops back up when I bring word back up. No permanent change. Can someone help with this? This is my first question as I am new to mac-forum and to the mac world.
This is a new version on my mackbook pro and i originally set up the user information. It just doesn't save the return address i am trying to use.

OP
S
Reaction score
After many avenues in search of answer...finally. The trick is to change your personal information in Outlook. Once you edit your personal information, it will automatically make the change to your user information in Word.
Thanks anyway

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's how to do it in Word 2011:

Open Word. Select "Tools" from the top menu. Now select "contacts". That will open your Address Book application. Choose the address you wish from your Address Book application.

Of course the above means that you must have your contacts listed in your Address Book application. If you're additionally using Outlook, I believe there is also a way to use the contact list from there. However, I currently do not have Outlook installed so I can't test it.

Note that Word will always default to your user information. Any addresses or contacts you use in the return address are temporary. You can open and edit your Address Book any time by going to Applications and selecting the Address Book application. You can even change your own address if you wish.

Reaction score
Here's how to do it in Word 2011:

Open Word. Select "Tools" from the top menu. Now select "contacts". That will open your Address Book application. Choose the address you wish from your Address Book application.

Of course the above means that you must have your contacts listed in your Address Book application. If you're additionally using Outlook, I believe there is also a way to use the contact list from there. However, I currently do not have Outlook installed so I can't test it.

Note that Word will always default to your user information. Any addresses or contacts you use in the return address are temporary. You can open and edit your Address Book any time by going to Applications and selecting the Address Book application. You can even change your own address if you wish.

Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem, the 'Personal Information' fields just stay blanco after filling them in and saving the settings.
However, the 'Tools / Contacts' option is greyed out, so I can't access this option to fix the problem. Also, I can't find the 'Address Book' on my Mac, I only have 'Contacts' in my applications.
Any help would be much appreciated, I'm trying to leave comments on a colleagues' word document, but I want my name/initials linked to this! Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The above thread was posted in 2012 and at that time the contacts.app was known as address book. Apple changed that some time ago with a new version of OS X and the address book is actually your "contacts.app". Just use the original instructions above but use the contacts.app instead of address book.

Reaction score
Ok, but then I'm still unable to use this fix as the 'Tools / Contacts' option is greyed out in the Word application..
I'm trying to figure out how Contacts relates to oulook/Mail app/Word. I use the Contacts app for all my contacts information, also have my own card, and use it in the Mail app (I don't have Outlook) but somehow I can't use it in the Word app.

Edit: Ah, now I see that, when changing/saving your personal information in the Word / User Information settings, it states: This information is stored in you address book and is used to help personalize your copy of Office ...etc. It seems that Word 2011 is still linked to the old 'Address Book' app, and doesn't recognize the 'Contacts' app?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Edit: Ah, now I see that, when changing/saving your personal information in the Word / User Information settings, it states: This information is stored in you address book and is used to help personalize your copy of Office ...etc. It seems that Word 2011 is still linked to the old 'Address Book' app, and doesn't recognize the 'Contacts' app?

Doesn't surprise me since Office 2011 pre-dates all the latest versions of OS X. Office 2011 was released during the time that Snow Leopard was the standard. I don't know how you can make adjustments since the "Address Book" is hard coded into Word.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I honestly don't know if it can be fixed, but there may be a work around that we are not aware of. What I suggest is ask the experts at the Microsoft Mac Office forums if they know of a way. You can join their forum for free and post a question for one of the MS tech guys (MVP) to answer. You can access their forums from here. Let us know if you find a solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.