VNC into Mini from Windows

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a Mini. I'm trying to VNC into the Mini from Windows. I've enabled screen sharing. I see the following:
Other users can access your computer's screen at vnc://Joe's-mac-mini/ or by looking for “Joe’s Mac mini” in the Finder sidebar.

How can I get the VNC server to listen at the IP address on interface en0, 10.0.0.1?

Thanks.

OP
F
Reaction score
Whoa, so I enabled Remote Login, and I saw:
To log in to this computer remotely, type "ssh joe@joes-mac-mini".

I didn't think this was some address only valid for Apple computers to ssh into, but I opened up putty on Windows and saw that I could ssh using that address.

So VNC should work, too. So I entered vnc://joes-mac-mini into VNC Viewer on Windows, but I see the following:
unable to resolve host by name: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found. (11004)

Instead of using the hostname, I used the IP address of my machine, but I get the same results.

OP
F
Reaction score
So I got it working. I was not supposed to enter the protocol, "vnc://". When I first tried, the window would appear and disappear, but when set the color level to full, I am able to VNC.
Didn't think it'd be so easy. I'm surprised that things are a little slow, though.

Reaction score
Hey!

When connecting to VNC through the VNC server, it already knows which port to connect to. That's why it's enough to enter the IP address or computer name.

Are you controlling through your local network? Just trying to figure out why it's so slow for you...

OP
F
Reaction score
The Mini and my laptop are connected with a crossover, and the control is over that link. Both interfaces are on the same subnet. That's should be as fast as you can get.
It's not unbearably slow. It's usable. When I move a large window around, I see that it tears and there is lag. I use VNC Viewer on Windows. I tried TightVNC, but it was slower, and the Windows key didn't map to the Apple key.
I thought my laptop would be able to handle it with almost no latency. It's a 2.8 Ghz Duo Core2 with an ATI FireGL V5700 graphics card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.