• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Making a PowerMac G4 a DVR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
I am looking at getting a PowerMac G4 off of ebay to turn into a dedicated DVR.

My first question is what are the minimum specs that it should have?

What accessories would I need to get this setup and running, i.e. video card,cables,software,etc.?

Is this very difficult to do, I dont want to do too much other than record some random TV shows and possibly burn them to a DVD?

I cant think of any other questions right now, but all suggestions/comments are very much appreciated.

PS: I forgot to mention that I will be using this will digital cable TV service, I dont know if that makes a diffference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I am definitely interested in this also. I built a windows xp computer and used meedio back in the day, but I would rather go this route also. Definitely need some type of capture device, good video card, and big, big, big hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
OP
dmachine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
As I have been looking around and pricing all the equipment I need I thought of a question. I want to be able to watch the TV on an actual TV, I wont be using a monitor to watch the TV. Does this present a porblem? The TV that I have has composite video and S-Video inputs. Any comments/suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.