Which MacBook?

Reaction score
I currently have an iMac i3 (Late-2010). I'm planning on keeping this at home when I go to uni later this year, and buying a MacBook Pro to take with me.

We have a white MacBook in the house, but when it's in use after some time the fans get really loud - is this issue on the aluminium MacBooks?

Anyway, I've got two choices:

13 inch 2.4GHz i5 or 13 inch 2.8GHz i7.

Budget allows for both options, but I'm wondering whether the speed increase is sufficient enough to justify the £300 difference. Obviously uni work doesn't require much speed - word documents etc I assume. However, I'll be continuing iPhone development while I'm studying, so It'll need to run things like Photoshop and Xcode pretty quickly.

Any thoughts? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro (Late 2011), 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5, 4GB, 500GB. Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2
My mother bought me the 13 inch 2.4 i5 model on the 24th of this month. I'm going into uni as well this year. Pre-med student here. I don't know much about macs nor the difference when it comes to the specs bc this is my first macbook pro. All I can say is I love mine. :) I wrote here to just simply tell you congrats n your uni.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I currently have an iMac i3 (Late-2010). I'm planning on keeping this at home when I go to uni later this year, and buying a MacBook Pro to take with me.

We have a white MacBook in the house, but when it's in use after some time the fans get really loud - is this issue on the aluminium MacBooks?

Anyway, I've got two choices:

13 inch 2.4GHz i5 or 13 inch 2.8GHz i7.

Budget allows for both options, but I'm wondering whether the speed increase is sufficient enough to justify the £300 difference. Obviously uni work doesn't require much speed - word documents etc I assume. However, I'll be continuing iPhone development while I'm studying, so It'll need to run things like Photoshop and Xcode pretty quickly.

Any thoughts? :)

Both the i5 and the i7 will do what you want. Obviously the i7 will be faster, but it's really up to you if you want to spend the extra money.

Not sure about the fan issue, but I've heard that the aluminum MacBooks actually run cooler than the older white ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.