Help Connecting Airport Express to Internet.

Reaction score
I am trying to connect my 802.11n Airport Express to the internet using the Ethernet cable form an SMC Networks SMC8004CM cable modem. Although the lights of the modem are all green, the Airport Express is not able to connect and shows a blinking amber light. My MACBOOK connects fine to the internet using the same SMC modem. I have tried all different sequences of setting and resetting the modem and airport express but without success. Maybe the Airport Express 802.11n is not compatible with the SMC modem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am trying to connect my 802.11n Airport Express to the internet using the Ethernet cable form an SMC Networks SMC8004CM cable modem. Although the lights of the modem are all green, the Airport Express is not able to connect and shows a blinking amber light. My MACBOOK connects fine to the internet using the same SMC modem. I have tried all different sequences of setting and resetting the modem and airport express but without success. Maybe the Airport Express 802.11n is not compatible with the SMC modem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Don't mean this as an insulting question, just trying to clarify where you are. Have you opened AirPort Utility on your Mac and used to configure your AirPort Express?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.