G5 2.0 dual 970 (2003) for dual 970FX swap (2004)

Reaction score
Hi,

I gave a friend of mine a half broken dual cpu 2.0 G5 from 2003 (M9032LL/A) and he really likes the machine, however, one of the cpu's has become unstable and as expected died, up to the point of not even showing up in Hardware Overview. The machine runs literally for hours without a hitch, is pretty fast but the second cpu is probably not death enough, and seems to wake up (Braaains!) and crash the machine completely (sorry for pointless zombie reference.)

So we set out on a quest (ooh cosplay time again!) to get our hands on either getting a dead but complete machine or a set of cpu's.

We managed to find a (dead and cheap) dual G5 2.0 from 2004 with 90nm 970fx cpu's as opposed to the 2003 G5's 130nm 970 ones.

I did find an ancient forumpost about the serial numbers being identical and that in theory cpu's could be swapped out, however no confirmation.

Anyone has an clue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
May be but is it worth the effort? It is normal for dual CPU's to be in matched pairs.

Reaction score
I can see there is no PowerPC love here..

I'd swap the board too...and if you're not interested I'd probably take the board and CPU's off your hands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.