macbook pro charging problem

Reaction score
hi there

i have a problem with a macbook pro 13" (mid 2011) model macbook
the problem with it is that when the laptop is switched off the laptop charges fine
but if the laptop is on after a minute or 2 the magsafe connector led starts either rapidly flashing orange or green

things i have tried already

reset PRAM
reset SMC
tried multiple chargers all do the same

thanks in advance for any help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A Mid MacBook Pro 2011 should still be under warranty. Make an appointment with Apple and get it repaired. And, if you have not already purchased Apple care, you might consider doing so.

OP
S
Reaction score
sorry just realised that i entered in the wrong year it is actually a mid 2010
also the apple care/warranty it had on it has all expired

so is it still possible to get more apple care for it and if so because i wasnt the one who purchased it off apple i got it off ebay for $300 sometime last year

and the laptop has been opened previously by a non apple certified professional

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, that machine is no longer eligible for Apple care. And if you purchased it a year ago off eBay for $300, you got a bargain at the time. As for the charging problem, it could be caused by faulty charging circuitry. In other words the logic that controls the charge - recharge, when to shut the charging circuit down, etc. I'm assuming from your previous post that the machine works OK when it's running off AC?

OP
S
Reaction score
yes it runs fine but only if the battery is fully charged otherwise the problem happens and it runs off the battery till the laptop has been turned off

also i did get a bargin as the laptop was listed as "broken" but all it required was a hdd and some ddr3 ram lol :p

and if the charging circuit is faulty is it possible to replace/fix or would the motherboard need replacing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Try a different adapter.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks everone for your help i have now tried 4 other adapters all do the same thing
i think this is just an annoying problem that i will have to live with :)
and thanks again for your assistance with my problem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.