• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Blackberry Playbook 64gb for only $280

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I was thinking about it for school but it lacks any decent PDF reader with annotation abilities, no Netflix, a limited app catalog and the 2.0 update is only going to be good if Android developers port their software over.

Don't get me wrong - the hardware is solid and the OS is slick (it looks fantastic and when I tried it, I was very impressed). I just can't get past the uncertainty. I'm sure RIM will survive but having a niche product isn't for me. Now, if you really only need the included software, you picked up a find tablet.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I was thinking about it for school but it lacks any decent PDF reader with annotation abilities, no Netflix, a limited app catalog and the 2.0 update is only going to be good if Android developers port their software over.

Don't get me wrong - the hardware is solid and the OS is slick (it looks fantastic and when I tried it, I was very impressed). I just can't get past the uncertainty. I'm sure RIM will survive but having a niche product isn't for me. Now, if you really only need the included software, you picked up a find tablet.

It's true, the BB ecosystem is a bit slower to tackle the big app market, but there is a whole other side that makes me like them...they are more secure, and run more consistently than Android. I've been reading a lot into the OS2, and I like things so far

It's not for everyone, but nor are iPads. The BB dev team is taking their sweet old time to roll out an official Netflix app, but there is the Netflix queue that lets you watch from your queue list, as well as search for them.

My main reason for getting this are these:
-Most responsive tablet from what is available at Bestbuy/Costco
-Feels real good to hold, and worthy of the price.
-The screen quality is pretty good.
-The size is just what I need for school. I don't feel comfortable anymore carrying my MBP along with all these stupid, heavy books.

A part of me wishes it had an Android OS for the apps, but when it comes to tablets/phones, if I can't get iOS, it's going to be BB QNX for stability reasons.
The uncertainty part does get to me too... but I think I will bite the bullet this time. I hope...

I'll post my own review here when it comes in:)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My brother-in-law just bought one. He said (don't know how he knows) that the next software update will enable use of existing Android APPs.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
My brother-in-law just bought one. He said (don't know how he knows) that the next software update will enable use of existing Android APPs.

Yes, but they will be ported. Not every app is guaranteed to run. But, from what I've seen, I can't believe how smoothy they run!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My main reason for getting this are these:
-Most responsive tablet from what is available at Bestbuy/Costco
-Feels real good to hold, and worthy of the price.
-The screen quality is pretty good.
-The size is just what I need for school. I don't feel comfortable anymore carrying my MBP along with all these stupid, heavy books.
I hear you. The hardware is fantastic and the OS is the best I've seen on that form factor. The multitasking alone puts Android and iOS to shame (I have grown to enjoy Android's though). Let me know how the thing handles PDFs for you.

The main reason I didn't go PlayBook was because of the supposed inability to handle PDFs. The fact that it has an Evernote client kept it in contention. ;). As I mentioned, I also don't like uncertainty so hoping that some great apps I know are available now for Android might be available in the future wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
wow that is cheap. I might watch ebay now and see if I can snag one as well.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're still on sale. At least here in Canada, you can get the 16GB for $199, the 32GB for $249 and the 64GB for $299.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I got one for free from Blackberry a while ago and have hardly touched it. That should change when the new OS comes out though! Until then, it's pretty much useless to me...

It does have a very nice interface and solid build quality (from what I can tell) and the screen is excellent. Once the new OS is out, it'll be great!

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I got one for free from Blackberry a while ago and have hardly touched it. That should change when the new OS comes out though! Until then, it's pretty much useless to me...

It does have a very nice interface and solid build quality (from what I can tell) and the screen is excellent. Once the new OS is out, it'll be great!

Can you elaborate on why it's useless?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Can you elaborate on why it's useless?

Lack of an email client and 3G connection is the biggest issue. Obviously the OS update won't bring 3G with it but an email client would be my biggest advantage, plus access to the Android market.

Gaming on it is smooth if you're into that sort of thing (which I'm not) but apart from Need For Speed, there's really not much to choose from - apart from a bad Fruit Ninja copy, Fruits and Ninjas :Oops:

I could tether it to my Android phone and use a browser for email but that's just not as intuitive as I'd like. Easier/faster to just do it on my phone - I'd have to get it out to turn tethering on anyway.

The other thing is I spend all day at work at a computer then come home where I have a laptop. I use my time on the train to read (books! :eek:) so there's not really any opportunity for me to use it. I'm going on my honeymoon in March though so it'll probably get some use then.

Useless may have been a strong word - it's a decent tablet! I like it. I just don't use it. I'm hoping that will change (I want to use it!) with the new OS just because of added functionality, or maybe in March after I'm married and my living situation changes dramatically. We'll see.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yeah, the apps are somewhat limiting when you compare it to what is offered on the iOS, but I REALLY needed something that had the capabilities of doing full web browsing, while being a 7" tablet, running real smooth, all while being a secure tablet. I've been going through a bunch of tablets to find the right one, and remember someone on here asking for tablet advice a few months back. I liked the PP since then, and it was just by sheer coincidence that my ebay daily deal happened to just be the PlayBook. Carrying my MBP 15" around, along with all my books, is getting to be a REAL chore!

I kept on reloading the FedEx tracking site almost every minute to see when it had been delivered, because I was in an AP Bio lab...and then the cool sign...DELIVERED! The seconds turned into minutes... longest 3 hours of my life!

I'm using it right now, and waiting for it to sync all my music/iphoto library. I had gotten hours of use before I already bought it, so I already knew what to expect, but I like it even more now that it's mine:)

We shall wait and see what OS2.0 has in store.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So, don't know if you want pics, but I like pics, and you're getting some.

20120201-xu9hc1dyww9au8r557rtm11x6a.jpg

20120201-p11j5j8cucw1sg7g9yfawjrmxi.jpg

20120201-qdirrgi4crkq87nji6yyr5ju3h.jpg

Comes in it's own pouch. Didn't know that, but I bought an Incipio Executive case for it.
20120201-m8ncibk7ga1udayp6gbxtsxwd9.jpg

I like the packaging.
20120201-jfm2ygmxedu11dfrc1rqpcyx89.jpg

20120201-ednmhh3itjdwdtiyh5m65n8uhc.jpg

The one thing that I could never fully they out is holding it in my hand without those stupid theft deterrent cage things. I knew that the skin had this rubbery soft feel, but it feels so much better in person. I remember when I had the iPad1, the aluminum would feel uncomfortable sometimes, as if you didn't have enough grip, especially on a cold day with dry hands.
20120201-cuty6rtjbrwhykntt49xnrr17n.jpg

The Bottom, with power connection, HDMI out, and some other weird thing that I haven't learned yet.
20120201-1bxxbsgxqbfgcxiyqjeq82r5c.jpg

Power, play, and volume buttons.
20120201-cdphg67mgcmksafc39pi9qrfa8.jpg

20120201-q4ghmxrryqksb9cf67rj3r5qc2.jpg

It's so easy and comfortable to hold, but then again, it is 7 inches long diagonally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
They're still on sale. At least here in Canada, you can get the 16GB for $199, the 32GB for $249 and the 64GB for $299.

bah. I took the money and bought an OWC 240gig ssd instead :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
this is not the first time ive seen a worthy tablet only to look elsewhere due to no 3g

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Time for my review!

So, I think I've had enough hands-on time to accurately come up with a good review.

Here we go!

The Specs- My PlayBook is the 64GB. It features a 1GHz dual-core processor. 1GB of ram. 7" screen with 1024x600 resolution. Dual HD video cameras, with 5MP back and 3MP front. Wifi connections work real well, and supports 802.11 a/b/g/n. Also has Bluetooth 2.1+EDR.
Dimensions are: Length=7.6" Depth= 0.4" Height= 5.1"

The Outside-For people who appreciate external build quality, as well as a quality feel, you will love the PlayBook! It feels excellent in your hand, with a smooth, thin rubber texture on the backing. It never feels like it's going to slip away from your hands. The PlayBook measures just 9" diagonally, but it feels solid and heavy, in only the best way...like it's packing some heat inside. The sound quality is about the same as the iPad, maybe a bit better, but not by much.

The screen quality, in comparison to the iPad, has a better resolution, and is a lot easier on the eye when switching back and forth between it and the iPhone 4s.I actually enjoy the screen very much, but have noticed that the smoothnes of the QNX OS seems to be bottlenecked by the screens resolution limitation(!). I can't imagine how good the screen would look if the QNX OS was coupled with a retina display.

I'm not a fan of miniature charging ports...I feel like they are always about to snap...and the PlayBook just so happens to have a micro usb charging port. I would prefer a connection similar to that found on iOS devices.

Connections include MicroHDMI port, charging port, and a dock type connection that I can't seem to find anything for.

I also purchased the Incipio Premium Executive Kickstand case for it, and it looks real good!

The QNX OS- The benchmark of OS smoothness, which is the key in having the the best user experience, was created by the iPad. This is the only tablet I know of that runs the OS smoothly, without twitching when scrolling past pages, or moving apps on the screen. Android, even though it's coupled with these monstrous processors, still twitch, creating a horrible experience. The iPad proved that there's more to it than just hardcore power, and this is another example of it.

While the BlackBerry AppWorld isn't anywhere near as vibrant as the iOS app world, QNX speaks for itself. If BlackBerry had access to the same exact apps that any iOS device had, it would dominate the OS world. It's really good! But, as Apple created their own enclosed ecosystem, BlackBerry has done the same, which has unfortunately locked them into their own world. However, that will most likely change with the new QNX V2.0 that is being released this month.

As for actually using it, the first thing you should know is that you don't need to press any buttons to wake the PlayBook from Standby mode. All that is needed is a simple swipe from either the top or bottom bezel towards the center of the screen. Yes, all sides of the bezel are touch sensitive. The bezel is the most important part of the QNX OS. It is used to access an app's menu system(swiping down from the top bezel), multitasking to the next app(swiping from either side of the bezel towards the center of the screen).
Swiping down from the top right corner of the bezel gives you access to the PlayBooks system utilities section. Swiping up from the lower left corner of the bezel gives you instant access to the keyboard.
While in an app, going back to the home screen is done by swiping up from the lower bezel. This instantly moves that current app into the multitasking area, which you can scroll through to select or delete apps from the bar. Putting apps in the multitasking bar gives you the ability to pause a game, listen to music while growing the web, and etc. It works really well!

The web browser found standard on PlayBooks is an actual full browser, with built in flash. I will say though, flash is a pain! You will notice a bit of twitching with it on. I could care less about flash, so I have it turned off. This scrolling quality is excellent with flash turned off...so smooth!

Once you back out of everything, you are given the choice of viewing apps that are categorized either by All, Favorites, Media, and Games. Either one of these sections can be swiped up to take over the screen, and lowered when not needed.

It's a very simple OS, and took all of 5 minutes to learn.

If you haven't noticed by now, the fluidity of an OS is what really draws me into a tablet, which is why there are 2 tablets I would spend money on: The iPad, and the PlayBook.

The only real problem with the PlayBook is that BlackBerry released it at the equivalent price of an iPad. While it does make sense when you compare it to Android tablets that are dime-a-dozen, it was still too expensive for its starting price. The new sale prices are real good in my opinion!

The last aspect of this that should be review is the Mac version of the BlackBerry sync app, which is called BlackBerry Desktop Software. I don't think they could have made it any easier for people to use. Syncing all of my iTunes media, and iPhoto library/events, was as easy as plugging in the PlayBook to my computer, selecting what I wanted to be synced to the PlayBook, and hit "Sync." Then, just sit back and hold on a bit. I thought it took a little long for it to initially sync, with about 3900 pics/videos, and 946 songs, it took ~30 minutes. I guess it's not that bad considering it's being written through another program. The BBDS program also acts just like iTunes in regards to backing up and restoring from past backups. Works well, and is simple to use. So simple, that it's boring.

The Roundup-
Pros-
-QNX OS
-Excellent quality feel.
-Actual full browser.
-Bezel gestures.
-Current price($280-$299 for 64GB).
-Camera's ability.
-Multitasking.
-2 front facing speakers.

Cons-
-Original price.
-micro usb charging.
-Screen rotation feature isn't as quick as that of the iPad.
-If anything else comes up, I'll update this.

I love it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.