Lion Boot Time

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forums,

My 13" Macbook Pro is about 1 month old. Recently the login time has increased greatly. It is important to note that the login time is only long right after i reboot. If i reboot, log in (takes long) and then log out, all logins after that take the usual amount of the time. This occurs with all the users (not guest user, obviously).

Disk Utility tells me that the disc is okay except for permissions on an 'SUID' file (which according to the internet seems to be fairly standard.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related or not but the chime sound that plays when you turn on a mac does not play except if i hold command+option+o+f during startup.

Tl;dr: The first time after a reboot my mac login takes longer than usual. Is this fixable?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you shut down or reboot your MBP is the sound muted or very low? The long boot up times could be related to the number of programs that you have starting when your machine boots. Check System Preferences, Users & Groups, Login Items.

OP
S
Reaction score
My only startup program is ItunesHelper.

What makes me doubt that startup programs are causing the delay is that it's ONLY the first time logging in that the delay occurs, regardless of user.

Since I'm bad at explaining, here's a diagram.

Example:

Reboot Computer > Log in to my personal account (admin) > (Experience delay) > logout > sign in other account (not guest account or admin) > (no delay)

Reboot Computer > Log in to other account (not guest or admin) > (experience delay) > logout > log in to admin (personal) account > (no delay)

Reboot Computer > Log in to admin (personal account) > (experience delay) > logout > log in to admin (personal account) > no delay

The above also happens with the 'other' account.
.........................................................................................................

Does too many startup programs explain that behavior?

EDIT: By the way my MBP came with Lion installed so it's not a software-upgrade issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
All things being equal, there should be no delay between account types. Now that being said, when logging in as admin are you connecting to network drive or other resources that you don't connect to with other accounts. You have not provided enough real information to accurrately analyze the issue. Would really help if you posted actually login times (not perception), programs that reopenning windows, computer info, etc.

OP
S
Reaction score
All things being equal, there should be no delay between account types. Now that being said, when logging in as admin are you connecting to network drive or other resources that you don't connect to with other accounts. You have not provided enough real information to accurrately analyze the issue. Would really help if you posted actually login times (not perception), programs that reopenning windows, computer info, etc.

The delay occurs with both accounts so I don't believe that the issue would have to do with that, but I don't know what you mean by connecting to a network drive or other resources.

Here is some information about my computer (main categories in System Information)

No code has to be inserted here.
No code has to be inserted here.

I will edit this message with a video of the mac rebooting in a few minutes.

EDIT: HERE is the video. As you can see there's almost a 30 second wait for it to load compared to an almost instaneous login after the first time.

If there's any more information that would help please let me know so I can post it here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
If you reboot a system all system services and personal programs are shutdown .
And when the reboot start it begins to restart the system services and after you choice which user is going to login it begins to start the user programs .
Even that I did not use a login my system is on auto login my personal programs are grey out in the beginning .
And than it start my personal programs .
And to me that is totally normal .

OP
S
Reaction score
If you reboot a system all system services and personal programs are shutdown .
And when the reboot start it begins to restart the system services and after you choice which user is going to login it begins to start the user programs .
Even that I did not use a login my system is on auto login my personal programs are grey out in the beginning .
And than it start my personal programs .
And to me that is totally normal .

So user programs are the things responsible for the slowing of my computer?

Assuming there are no 'hidden' startup user programs, my only startup user program is ItunesHelper. Also, if user startup programs are really the cause of this that would mean that user programs are not shutdown when a user logs out. Is this the case (i've only been using OS X for about a month) ?

The reason i think this has another cause is that it only started happening (suddenly, not gradually) recently and it did not happen the first month or so that I've been using this computer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you looked in the Console logs (Applications => Utilities). Usually extremely long boot times (at least in my experience) are caused by failing startup processes. The Console logs should be able to clue you into the problem.

Aside from that - the unfortunate thing is that Lion is pretty slow to startup all by itself - particularly if you allow it to "reopen windows when logging back in" - because all of those applications will need to be restarted during the boot process.

There are, however, two things that you can do to avoid this...

1. Don't reboot. Yes, I know, you think I'm being sarcastic.... but really, OS X being based on BSD (an OS that was designed to run 24/7/365 with no downtime) really doesn't need to reboot that often. Just put your machine to sleep when you're not using it. Trust me, it will be fine.

2. Install an SSD in lieu of your traditional hard drive. I used to hate rebooting. Now, I giggle like a school girl when I do... it literally takes less than 15 seconds on my Crucial M4/256GB SSD.

OP
S
Reaction score
Have you looked in the Console logs (Applications => Utilities). Usually extremely long boot times (at least in my experience) are caused by failing startup processes. The Console logs should be able to clue you into the problem.

Aside from that - the unfortunate thing is that Lion is pretty slow to startup all by itself - particularly if you allow it to "reopen windows when logging back in" - because all of those applications will need to be restarted during the boot process.

There are, however, two things that you can do to avoid this...

1. Don't reboot. Yes, I know, you think I'm being sarcastic.... but really, OS X being based on BSD (an OS that was designed to run 24/7/365 with no downtime) really doesn't need to reboot that often. Just put your machine to sleep when you're not using it. Trust me, it will be fine.

2. Install an SSD in lieu of your traditional hard drive. I used to hate rebooting. Now, I giggle like a school girl when I do... it literally takes less than 15 seconds on my Crucial M4/256GB SSD.

Thank you, I'll check out Console and see if there's any recurring problems when i reboot.

As it is now I just put my computer to sleep, so the actual rebooting isn't an issue for me. My primary reason for asking for help was the possibility that whatever caused this could cause worse things later on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.