Fan and Chime Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5, Cinema Display, MacBook
Hello, Just joined and not sure if I'm posting in the correct area, please redirect me if not. I'm having some small issues with my G5 1.8, 2gig late 2004, early 2005 OSX 10.3.9

A quick background: Had the computer in storage for several years. Replaced the logic board first year and a half 6/2006 due to a power surge. Have used it very seldom since 2007. New cinema display purchased with new logic board.

After powering it up a couple of weeks ago noticed the startup chime has a metal rattling sound to it. No big deal. Everything works fine. Hooked it up to ethernet for the first time and was prompted for several updates, proceeded, mainly firmware, firewall, I thought QT, etc. didn't pay much attention to it.

Came back to the machine after a little while, fan is running full blast with the power light off, manuel restart. Set the processor speed to highest, reset the SMU several times and the PRM once, semi back to normal besides the fans now come on full blast in 15-30 sec. segments every 20-30 mins., 10-15 mins. after initial boot up, everything works (is this normal? never did that before, it would always be a steady hum with high and low fan speeds).

Inside of cpu pretty clean with very minimal dust. Now the startup chime won't sound, volume is on. Am I just being over paranoid or are these symptoms of something? Feel like I'm opening a time capsule here. Finally getting back into the grind and need this as a backbone for the time being. Also, the ports on the back of the 20" cinema display stopped working, was working as of 2009, is that a known issue? Any insight into these minor situations would be greatly appreciated, this could always be 20x worse, just want to stay on top of this one before anything major happens. Thanks again.

Deano

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're posting in the correct area. However, trying to get a 2004 machine back up and running that has been in storage for several years and according to you, used very seldom since 2007, is in my opinion, not going to be worth the time and effort. Consider first how much the machine is worth and the possible amount of $ you would have to spend to repair it. It also appears your Cinema display is not working properly either.

Might be time to put that system out to pasture and invest in a new iMac?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello, Thank you very much for your reply. However I do not have the credit nor cash to purchase a new machine. I'm not aware that if a mac goes simply unused it will expire. Sure having the funds to purchase a new machine every 2 years would be great. I'm not sure if the issues I posted are or should be of any concern.
I value your recommendation of simply purchasing another computer, however I would like to get back on track with what I have and go from there. Thanks again.

Deano

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That rattle sound in the startup sound could very well be either messed up speakers or something in the speaker that is rattling. Those first generation iMacs had that Capacitor issue that plagued the whole motherboard industry at one time. Check inside and look at the Capacitors. Do the tops with the X on them seemed like they are bulging outward?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Dennis, I did check out the speaker, it appears to be ok and regular sound is fine with no rattle, now I simply have no startup chime, do you have any suggestions regarding that? Thank you very much for your reply.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Two things to check. In OSX System Preferences, open Sound and be sure the Alert sound level is turned up.

If that is not the issue Reboot and hold the Command+Option+P+R keys all at the same time and keep them down. It should reboot and you should hear the startup sound. Keep the keys down for 2 reboots/Startup sounds. Let me know if that works.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Dennis, I had reset the PRAM and SMU a couple of times before, and after restarting to do so again for advise sake the chime came on and now works, (how did you do that?) with the rattle still, only rattles with the start up and not for any other audio or sounds. Do you think this could be an issue of something developing I may be able to prevent? or no. Also, do you have any insight or recommendations regarding the fans? again, doesn't seem to be a major issue, just looking for an opinion. Thanks again very much for your help. MarkyB86, thank you very much as well. Deano

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.