USB wireless Adapter Issues

Reaction score
Trying to get the following USB adapter work with a MacBook Pro

Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 Wireless-N 4.0 Dongle (1T1R) IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 150Mbps Data Rates WPA/WPA2 (AES, 64,128-WEP with shared-key authentication) WPS PIN, PBC (Hardware WPS Button) QoS-WMM

And well I install the drivers.. Then plug in the adapter.. The rosewill wireless utility pops up on the site survey screen and says no device!! in the bottom left hand corner after some spinning wheel goes for a bit..

. It doesnt show up in Networks or anything.. In the utility screen I cant really do anything.. Clicking Add doesnt do crap in the profile page and such I get the spinning wheel for awhile then nothing.. This Mac is on 10.6.8

Im at a total loss as to what to do.. Not really a big Mac expert im quite befuddled .

Any suggestions would be most helpfull thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you tell us what version of the OS you are using. Go to the Apple menu and choose About This Mac. The version Number will be just below the large OS X

My guess would be that you are running some version of 10,7 and the driver is not fully functional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Why do you need a wireless dongle with a mac that comes equipped with wireless?

OP
K
Reaction score
Can you tell us what version of the OS you are using. Go to the Apple menu and choose About This Mac. The version Number will be just below the large OS X

My guess would be that you are running some version of 10,7 and the driver is not fully functional.

Why do you need a wireless dongle with a mac that comes equipped with wireless?
Cause it stopped working

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's been our experience when dealing with wireless dongles that very few will work correctly with OS X, even those which claim that they do. It's probably better to try to repair the wireless in your MBP than use a wireless dongle. Replacing the wireless card in your MBP can be done as a do it yourself project if your MBP is no longer covered by warranty. A new card runs about $70 or so and you can find instructions for replacing it at iFixit: The free repair manual.

OP
K
Reaction score
It's been our experience when dealing with wireless dongles that very few will work correctly with OS X, even those which claim that they do. It's probably better to try to repair the wireless in your MBP than use a wireless dongle. Replacing the wireless card in your MBP can be done as a do it yourself project if your MBP is no longer covered by warranty. A new card runs about $70 or so and you can find instructions for replacing it at iFixit: The free repair manual.

Would be my preferred method but my model has nothing about a wireless card on Ifixit and what I have found seems to indicate its connected up through the display with the webcam ?

My model
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2009 Repair Manual - iFixit

Is there a wireless card in this? If so how do I get to it?

What are my options on this really?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The wireless card on your particular model is located (buried) in the display area, and is difficult to get at. Unless you're willing to tear it apart, it might be best not to attempt it. Most models are not that difficult to swap out the card. The other thing here is that it may not be the card at all that's defective. The antenna is also located in that same area. You might also want to get the work done at an authorized apple service center. The folks at iResQ do good work and their prices are lower than Apple. Talk to them first. They have a toll free number. Here's the link.

OP
K
Reaction score
The wireless card on your particular model is located (buried) in the display area, and is difficult to get at. Unless you're willing to tear it apart, it might be best not to attempt it. Most models are not that difficult to swap out the card. The other thing here is that it may not be the card at all that's defective. The antenna is also located in that same area. You might also want to get the work done at an authorized apple service center. The folks at iResQ do good work and their prices are lower than Apple. Talk to them first. They have a toll free number. Here's the link.

Yea not really an option money wise especially not before trying to get a USB wireless adapter working

Anyone have any suggestions of a model that has a good history of working with Macs?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.