Fan on Mac always running???

Reaction score
I have a PowerBook G4 using OX X 10.5.8, 1.33 ghz power pc G4 processor, 1.25 gb memory. I know its rather old, but I've keep it current and I don't have too many problems, except the fan seems to run a lot. Anyone have any ideas why? Thx.

Pat
NYC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Start with Activity Monitor and view all processes. Then sort by CPU and see if there is a process that uses high amounts of CPU runtime. Perhaps there is an app that needs to be removed or updated, or is broken or misconfigured.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
the fan should always be running constantly. I would be more worried if the thing actually stopped.

If you are worried about overheating:

Mac's will shut down when the CPU or any other component reaches its heat threshold - Its a safety precaution. As long as its not doing this you are in the clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
the fan should always be running constantly. I would be more worried if the thing actually stopped.

Quite right, my Mac's fans and all the others in the house the fans are always turning with about 2000 RPM and I have never seen them under this.
When they are turning at 2000 RPM, you can barely hear them at all so some people think they are off. Once they kick up to +3000 RPM, then you will start to hear them. Sometimes like a jet engine :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I don't have too many problems, except the fan seems to run a lot. Anyone have any ideas why? Thx.

Just like an automobile (whose engine constantly needs cooling)...a computers internal components are constantly generating heat (especially a laptop computer)...so a laptop needs constant cooling as well.

Under high-demand situations you can definitely hear a laptops fan running (as much as 5000-6000 rpm). In low-demand situations...a laptops fan is also running...it just may only be running at a MUCH quieter 1500 rpm...which could be mistaken for not running at all (but it is running) and providing needed cooling).:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.