MACBOOK PRO 15" Vs. ALIENWARE M17x - HELP ME CHOOSE! 2012

Reaction score
Hey There! I'm new! Buuuut, I have this age old problem :( I can't choose between a Macbook Pro 15 inch base-line model (Fall line) 2011 and an Alienware M17x. I know that both these machines are totally different because of what they're made for. I'm sort of a mix between a creative and an engaging person. I enjoy games and creating movies.

I know that I can do both with these machines, But I'd like to answer WHY on one of them.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT BY CHECKING OUT THIS VIDEO I MADE ON YOUTUBE! :D

<link removed, we're not here to help you promote your YouTube videos - k? Thanks>

Okay, so, please try to be open minded :) HAHA. THANKS!

C

chas_m

Look, here's the bottom line.

Only ONE of those two machines runs Mac OS X *and* if you want Windows.

Mac OS X is, in the opinion of most people who've actually tried both, a better OS that is much better suited to creative endeavours.

So, given that, the choice is really "a machine that can run both operating systems, or a machine that can only run one, and is only really geared towards gaming at that?"

A no-brainer IMHO.

OP
R
Reaction score
Look, here's the bottom line.

Only ONE of those two machines runs Mac OS X *and* if you want Windows.

Mac OS X is, in the opinion of most people who've actually tried both, a better OS that is much better suited to creative endeavours.

So, given that, the choice is really "a machine that can run both operating systems, or a machine that can only run one, and is only really geared towards gaming at that?"

A no-brainer IMHO.

Haha, Thanks a LOT! :-bd ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know that I can do both with these machines, But I'd like to answer WHY on one of them.

To me this really is not a difficult question/choice. As "chas_m" mentioned...it's about which OS do you prefer. If you prefer the Mac OS...then get a Mac. If you prefer Windows...then get the Windows computer.

Or if you want to be able to run both OS's on one computer...get a Mac.

Now if you were trying to decide between two Windows computers or two Macintosh computers...that would be a more difficult decision (but still not SUPER difficult).;)

- Nick

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If you're a gamer - get the Alienware - nothing wrong with that machine at all - and it will do everything the Mac will do - except run Mac OS X.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you're a gamer - get the Alienware - nothing wrong with that machine at all - and it will do everything the Mac will do - except run Mac OS X.

...and run for more than an hour or two on battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Both machines will run windows fine and handle the current crop of games without issue. So the real question is which machine would be better suited for the creative aspects. In that case, the Mac wins in a landslide. The Mac has been viewed as a creative platform for years, and shows no sign of slowing down in that regard. Most newspapers and magazines (even magazines like Maximum PC and PC World) are designed and laid out on a Mac, and a lot of animation is done on these machines as well (South Park is just one example). Likewise, a lot of musicians and DJs use the Mac in the production process as well, including Trent Reznor, Metallica, Paul Oakenfold, Mark and Samantha Ronson, etc. The software on the Mac side is more refined and intuitive, whereas the Windows equivalents often work in a counterintuitive manner. Even a program like Photoshop is a more polished experience on OS X than Windows, largely because of the way the software is designed. I've used these types of software on both a Mac and Windows machine, and I wind up sticking to the Mac every single time.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, thanks to dmccloud, it looks like the picture's becoming more clearer :) Thanks a lot buddy! You're totally helpful! Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.