New harddrive showing up in utility but not startup disk

Reaction score
Please bear with me as I'm typing from my iPhone. Just installed a new harddrive, and I can find it in disk utility, although verify and repair are all grayed out. I thought the reason it wasn't working is because I needed to choose it as the startup disk, bit it's not showing up there. Is there anything I can do?

Thank you so much!

Rachel

OP
Z
Reaction score
So I think I may have helped things along by erasing the harddrive, it seemed silly erasing a brand new harddrive, but I guess that's another term for formatting in Mac speak. So now my problem is that I can't eject the install disk, and the Mac keeps trying to boot from it even though I'm not holding c or anything. This is a problem because I can't install from this disk anyway. I borrowed it from my mom because my dish was lost in a move and I figured I only needed this to get to disk utility anyway.

I tried typing that command in single user mode too, but in she stays.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Blah, I got the disk ejected and now I'm back to flashing file folder. Help!!!

OP
Z
Reaction score
I reset the pram and now at least I get a chime. Maybe my iMac will just be a giant phone charger... It still does that at least.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Could this all be because I don't have the disk from the last OS I had before lion? I love being able to download new OS, but it seems like not having an actual disk is causing problems.

Btw, since I formatted, I can do repair and verify, and everything is ok.

Reaction score
If you installed a new drive in place of the old one your Mac has no system to boot from.
A brand spanking new drive is usually formatted as FAT32 so yes it needs to be reformatted HFS+ for a Mac.
Now you need to install OS X from your install disk before it will boot on it's own.
Then do all the updates with Software Update in the System Preferences to get it current.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.