Remote Login/File Share - Mac/Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 i7 - 8GB DDR3 - 10.6.8
Hello.

I'm in need of a little advice.

I live in Portland, OR.

I have a buddy who lives in Eugene, OR.

What I would like is to set up a connection between our two computers, that would allow us access to one another's machines, so that we would be able to share the music that we've created.

Via TCP, SSH, VPN.

I've been working on this the past few days now, and am in need of assistance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-Evan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Why not use a feature like Drop Box?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drop Box would be ideal.

Now I may be wrong... But isn't Drop Box more of an item for AFP?
More specifically for Mac to Mac sharing?

Also, I can't think of the Microsoft equivalent to Drop Box.

Even if my buddy in Eugene was able to to access my Drop Box - running Windows, he wouldn't have one.

That's what's led me to where I am now.

Creating a platform friendly server.

I believe FTP would be the way to go, regardless of security.

With that said, I'm having difficulties.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Dropbox is cross platform - it supports Windows, OS X, Linux, iOS and Android. No worries there.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. Interesting.

In the past, I accessed a dropbox through a server at a school I was attending.

This is what it looked like -----------------> afp://63.231.290.43
-I could turn assignments in from home.

Now, if my buddy and I were both using DropBoxes...

Would I need to set up a server like the one above...? ^^^

Or would there be some kind of middle man to upload to, such as the DropBox website?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My first reply had the link in it it. Drop Box is a generic term that it sounds like you are familiar with, but also in this case is a service.

Dropbox - Simplify your life

I suggested this as an option since there are significant security concerns as well as configuration and maintenance involved with setting up your own sharing. From your OP I thought Drop Box to be a good fit.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, thank you.

Although... the first snag has already been hit demoing Dropbox.

In order to keep Dropbox as a free service, the total allotment of data capable of being stored at any given time... is only 2 gigs.

The first file I'd like to transfer is 5.27 gigs.

The next available plan is $9.99 a month/$99.99 a year, for 50 gigs.

I'll be honest though, I have no interest in paying $100.00 a year.

This leads me back to my questions regarding a home server.

I am aware of the security vulnerabilities generated through such a server.

Port forwarding has it's uses, and I believe it would be involved with what I'd like to do.

Regardless.

As far as configuration and maintenance, those are of no concern.
-In 1 1/2 years I'll be graduating with an associates in Computer Information Systems.
-So I suppose I'd better get used to configuration and maintenance.

Now---

Dropbox is checked off the list.

Someone, please enlighten me with the 101s of a personal server.

And thank you all for the advice that's been dealt thus far.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could use SSH and then simply use sftp to transfer files. I suggest this over FTP since FTP is unencrypted. I'm away from my Mac right now but it might be as easy as simply enabling remote login on the server.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the thing...

I enabled remote login.

Well... Hmm.

If I wanted to access the server on my computer, would I do so through a URL on a search engine - like an FTP server, or would I do so through something along the lines of "Connect to Server," under the "Go" tab?

When I enabled Remote Login, it told me I could access my computer remotely by typing "ssh ***********@192.168.1.5"

Where would I type that, in order to access my computer remotely?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to port forwarding,...

SSH uses port 22. You would need a static IP on your Mac and access to configure the firewall that connects you to the internet. Then forward port 22 to that IP in the firewall.

If your internet does not have a static IP then you may want to employee a free dynamic DNS service such as DynDNS.org so that you can use host name resolution.

ie.
ssh [email protected]

Just know that ssh access to a computer will give the user that connects, full file system rights. Even though you say you are aware of the security concerns, open port 22 to the public should be done with caution. Some firewall will do port redirection. This can protect the identity of a port like 22.

ie.
Set the firewall to redirect port 10888 to 22 (or anything over 1024 and below 65000) This way a port scan will not show that 22 is open.

ssh -p 10888 [email protected]
or if you have a static public IP
ssh -p 10888 [email protected]

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just know that ssh access to a computer will give the user that connects, full file system rights. Even though you say you are aware of the security concerns, open port 22 to the public should be done with caution. Some firewall will do port redirection. This can protect the identity of a port like 22.
Good point and something to consider if you choose to go this route.

A simple way to do the transfer is with something like CyberDuck which has sftp support. You simply plug in the IP, user name and password and you're good to go.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First-

Ivan, thank you. TeamViewer looks like a good piece of software.
As does CyberDuck, thank you vansmith.

Thank you both.

It appears as though I'd be able to use either, to perform the actions that I'd like to.
In the end, I probably will.

---

Now, port forwarding.

-I changed my router's settings from a Dynamic to a Static IP.
-I then opened port 22.
-Start 22/End 22.
-I wasn't able to adjust the router's firewall just yet, that can be done later.
-Or can it? Does the SSH port need to be redirected to my NetGear's embedded firewall... in order to function as a tunnel?

----

So let's say that what was needed to be done - in order for my computer to be accessed remotely, has been done.

How would "ssh -p 10888 [email protected]" be accessed from my buddy's Windows machine? Without Bash. Where would that be entered?

Some file finder?

Would he need to download specific software in order to reach this address?

-----

Thank you all for you help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
See this thread - general info on ports
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/internet-networking-wireless/222369-ports-primer.html

and this thread for more information on port forwarding
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/internet-networking-wireless/196280-vnc-port-forwarding.html

Once you have ssh setup you can use scp to move stuff around - or use a program like cyberduck to move stuff around graphically. I highly recommend you understand the security risks of setting up ssh - port 22 is a well known port and is brute force attacked by scripts all the time.

By the questions you are asking - I would recommend not trying to go down the route of opening ports and forwarding them. I would again recommend teamviewer as the security risk is much lower as the software and servers do all the heavy lifting of security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The only difficulty I'd see with the solutions proposed is resuming of the file transfer and the integrity of the file if you get connection interuption etc.

Along the same lines as dropbox why not get a Box account - 50gb free

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
First-

Ivan, thank you. TeamViewer looks like a good piece of software.
As does CyberDuck, thank you vansmith.

Thank you both.

It appears as though I'd be able to use either, to perform the actions that I'd like to.
In the end, I probably will.

---

Now, port forwarding.

-I changed my router's settings from a Dynamic to a Static IP.
-I then opened port 22.
-Start 22/End 22.
-I wasn't able to adjust the router's firewall just yet, that can be done later.
-Or can it? Does the SSH port need to be redirected to my NetGear's embedded firewall... in order to function as a tunnel?

----

So let's say that what was needed to be done - in order for my computer to be accessed remotely, has been done.

How would "ssh -p 10888 [email protected]" be accessed from my buddy's Windows machine? Without Bash. Where would that be entered?

Some file finder?

Would he need to download specific software in order to reach this address?

-----

Thank you all for you help.
eJack,

I guess this is a moot point if you have already changed your router to static from dynamic, but usually, your ISP will determine if your ip is static or dynamic. If your ISP have given you a dynamic address and you have changed that setting in your router, there is a possbility of your being unable to connect once the IP lease expires. If in fact your ISP allows you to specifiy a static IP, your friend will only have to download a windows ftp client (I've used SmartFTP, FileZilla among others), put the settings in you give him and off he goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
There are two things going on here - static WAN IP and static LAN IP.

The reason you need to have your LAN IP - the same - is so your router can forward the proper port to the proper internal server. You actually shouldn't need to set your LAN static - you should be able - with most modern routers - to still use DHCP but assign a permanent address to your computers. That way you don't have to go changing the DHCP settings on your computer when switching networks.

Your WAN IP should be resolvable - but if you look at my other thread you'll see you can do that through dynamic dns. Yes having a static WAN address would be easier but this is usually an extra charge from your ISP in most cases. Dynamic DNS either runs on your router or you can run a script on a computer so that if your WAN IP changes - the dns record will update as well.

So basically the route is client -> dynamic dns name -> goes to your router and assigned WAN DHCP -> your router forwards traffic to internal port forward command.

Again - all very dangerous as you are opening a door to your network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to sound rude but,....

It appears you do not have a basic understanding of firewalls and port forwarding. There have been several posts either trying to explain what needs to happen or the implications of what types of security concerns you may have. None of which appear to be guiding you.

It is now plainly clear that you have no idea of how this will work.

Without a basic understanding of port forwarding you will not get very far. People post hints and guides all the time, where it can be a vey simple task to complete, unless you know what you are doing and why, you will not be successful.

Perhaps a poster will take the time to teach you step by step, but in the end if you don't get it you'll be in the same boat.

Sorry,..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.