Advice Needed

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the Mac game and my HDD on my Mid '09 Macbook Pro has gone kaput. I am wondering which HDD to buy to replace it. Do I need one that is already formatted for use with OS X? Or can I literally just buy any SATA 2.5" HDD and throw it in?

I would be extremely grateful for any help on this matter. Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Or can I literally just buy any SATA 2.5" HDD and throw it in?

This is pretty much all you have to do:

- buy an HD from a reputable manufacturer
- install it
- format the HD for use on a Mac (if it is not already formatted)
- then install the Mac OS (10.6 or 10.7 I would assume for you)

Check these guys out:

OWC

...they're pretty good.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
How do I go about formatting it for Mac? Where can I find "Mac Ready" internal HDDs?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I go about formatting it for Mac? Where can I find "Mac Ready" internal HDDs?

You don't really find "Mac-Ready" hard drives...they're just about all "Mac-Ready"...you just have to format it to use in a Mac. To do this you need:

- A bootable disk (DVD) such as an OS install disk (which you "boot" the computer from)
- Then you open "Disk Utility" to format the HD to "Mac OS Extended-Journeled".
- Then you quit Disk Utility & proceed with the OS install

- Nick

Reaction score
If, for one reason or another, you plan on upgrading to Lion, you'll need a copy of the InstallESD.dmg burnt to a cd. Otherwise they'll just try to get you to upgrade OTA or using a flash drive from one of their Apple stores. Just as a heads up.
I had to pop a new HDD in my 2011 Macbook Pro about a month ago.

OP
M
Reaction score
You don't really find "Mac-Ready" hard drives...they're just about all "Mac-Ready"...you just have to format it to use in a Mac. To do this you need:

- A bootable disk (DVD) such as an OS install disk (which you "boot" the computer from)
- Then you open "Disk Utility" to format the HD to "Mac OS Extended-Journeled".
- Then you quit Disk Utility & proceed with the OS install

- Nick

Thanks, this seems pretty straightforward. One more thing though; I placed my PS3 HDD into my MBP, just to make sure it was my original HDD that was the problem. When I installed the HDD from the PS3, I couldn't even get it to boot.

Is this because the drive is in a format my MBP isn't recognizing? Now, I'm thinking maybe I have a different hardware problem...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this because the drive is in a format my MBP isn't recognizing?

Exactly! In most cases you can't just swap HD's from one device to another like that...there are hard drive format issues to deal with.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Exactly! In most cases you can't just swap HD's from one device to another like that...there are hard drive format issues to deal with.

- Nick

Sweet! Thanks again Nick. I really hope to be back online with my Mac soon :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you have the OSX DVD in the drive and hold C till it started to boot? Macs do not boot from Sony PS3 OS!

What were the symptoms of the hard drive dying?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweet! Thanks again Nick. I really hope to be back online with my Mac soon :D

If you had an extra 2.5" working HD laying around...and you had the proper Mac OS install disk to boot from to do the HD formatting...then this would be a great way to troubleshoot the problem.

Otherwise...you have to purchase an HD (and have the proper OS disk) to create a bootable HD to insure the old HD is bad. Using the PS3 HD was a great idea:)...except I'm thinking that you don't want to reformat it for your Mac...otherwise it won't work in your PS3.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Did you have the OSX DVD in the drive and hold C till it started to boot? Macs do not boot from Sony PS3 OS!

When I tried starting up my MBP, I came to a grey screen with a "?" folder. I tried running Disk Utility to verify and repair but I received an improper node error on b tree. Or...something to that effect.

OP
M
Reaction score

Oh, and no I didn't hold C, or if I did, nothing happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
You just need your install disks and you'll be fine with almost any HDD. I took the Seagate Momentus HDD from my dad's ThinkPad, installed it, and after booting the OSX install disks had it running my OS in no time. Just hold the C key when trying to boot so it boots from the disk.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I finally bought a new drive, installed it, and now more trouble. When I come to the screen to "Select a Destination" to install OS X on my new drive, my drive isn't listed. If I run disk utility, it recognizes the drive. What am I doing wrong here?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
run Disk Utility and Partition or Erase the Drive! Mac OSX Extended Journalized. I do a partition and select one then under advanced be SURE GUID is selected of OSX will not boot.

Then it should show up in the installer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.