Macbook on External Monitor

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Macbook Pro set up on an external screen with bluetooth keyboard and track pad. I know that if I use a USB keyboard and mouse I can close the lid and it will act in a similar fashion to a Mac Mini. My question is; is it also possible to do this with the bluetooth keyboard and trackpad?

Many thanks

Will

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're speaking about operating your MBP in "clamshell" mode. While the Apple instructions say you need an external keyboard and mouse they don't specify wired or wireless. I have used my MacBook that way but with a wired keyboard and mouse. Give it a try with your wireless keyboard and trackpad and come back and let us know if it works.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I use my 2008 MacBook Pro with a wireless keyboard and trackpad (Both Apple). I don't use clamshell mode with my second monitor much so I had to try it first. The wireless keyboard will wake the Mac when it is in clamshell mode. I sometimes have to wait a second or two after touching a key before it wakes up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.