New categories in Finder

Reaction score
Hi. This could be in the wrong section -- apologies if so. And also this is a very simple question, I think. I am wondering if, in Finder, there is a way to add new categories regarding the sorting of files. I am talking about this area Screen shot 2012-01-27 at 8.48.07 AM.png

In iTunes, you can Control-click this category section and it gives you a long list of options for sorting. How come you can't do this in Finder ?

Thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You failed to indicate which version of OS X you are running, but you most certainly can do it at least in Lion.

Sort.jpg

It appears from your screen cap that you are running Snow Leopard or earlier. I can't say that it is supposed to be there in your case, but I assume you tried right-clicking at the top of a column, where the sorting option's name is?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah, it's strange. I Control-click on the headers and it does nothing other than act as a normal click.

I am running 10.6.8. I can't identify the animal associated with this OS, though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it's strange. I Control-click on the headers and it does nothing other than act as a normal click.

I am running 10.6.8. I can't identify the animal associated with this OS, though :)

You have Snow Leopard. The extra sorting options while searching must be a new feature of 10.7 (Lion).

OP
T
Reaction score
That's pretty crazy, that they wouldn't give you an option regarding how you sort files. I mean, I always have "Name" and "Kind", but sometimes it's "Date Modified" and sometimes it's "Last Opened". What about "Size", "Date Created", "Date Added", etc. Oh well. I'll just work with it.

This Mac was given to me for free, so I shouldn't complain !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
Guys, a quick cmd+j to display view options will have a section called Show Columns. In this you have tick boxes beside each option.

Apple probably introduced the Lion to retain fluidity between apps as well as supurflouise (My new word) an obscure options box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, good. Thanks

Wish there was a way to apply it permanently to all windows...
I'm away from my Mac at the moment but isn't there a button which is 'set as default' or similar?

I'll check it out for you later if I can remember :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's pretty crazy, that they wouldn't give you an option regarding how you sort files. I mean, I always have "Name" and "Kind", but sometimes it's "Date Modified" and sometimes it's "Last Opened". What about "Size", "Date Created", "Date Added", etc. Oh well. I'll just work with it.

Well they do as madwolfe pointed out, but it's not dead obvious. The functionality in Finder has been a sore point for years, but at least they made some progress with Lion finally. Since my memory is fuzzy on the details, I'll let madwolfe finish helping you out. :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since my memory is fuzzy on the details, I'll let madwolfe finish helping you out. :Cool:
The pressure!

Ah, good. Thanks

Wish there was a way to apply it permanently to all windows...
Well I just quickly checked for you and there is the button that is described as "Set As Defaults" however it doesn't seem to work as you would expect it to.

My solution to the problem (I personally don't use Finder) is Path Finder which does have this functionality you want plus a whole lot more. It is what I use day to day and cannot live without. Of course, it may not be a massive problem for you and you may not be a massive power user which would warrant a switch however, it is on the table (And I am waiting for the Path Finder guys to pass me the money under the table for selling their product :p)

OP
T
Reaction score
Ha, no, I would not describe me as a Power User. It's hard for me to imagine how you would not use Finder ! Anyway, yeah, the Set as Default button doesn't really work. Weird. I'll just cope.

I will look into Path Finder...

Thanks again !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.