Malware?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Quick question regarding something I encountered last night. I was typing in a channel address for Youtube and pressed enter to take me to the page. I instead was taken to what looked like an ad, featuring the youtube logo, but clearly not an official ad of any kind. My friend who was with me said I probably had Malware on my iMac. I've scanned with Clamxav and it found nothing, but then that's an antivirus...any suggestions to see what on earth it was I stumbled upon?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's unlikely to be anything sinister.

Can you recreate the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You don't necessarily have malware, although there are a couple that do DNS re-routing. It's possible your router may be what's compromised, or even your ISP's DNS server.

You can change the DNS settings on your Mac and/or on your router to the ones for OpenDNS if you like. Their servers are:

You'll have to resort to your router's documentation on how to change the DNS server to the custom one. For on your Mac.. do a Google search for: How To Change DNS Settings Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.