New Iphone needs newer Mac OS X system?

Reaction score
Hi
I have a mcabook running OS X 10.4.11
My boyfriend recently bought an Iphone 3Gs and its not able to sync on my mac beacause i need the new version of itunes (version 10.5.3) i have downlaoded this version but when i open it to install i get this pop up message:

"Couldn't open "Install iTunes.pkg". This package type requires Mac OS X 10.5."

I dont know how to get round this as i also want to buy a newer iphone but if neither pones are going to sync on my mac do i have to upgrade to OS X leopard?

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated, i just cant get my head round it.
Thankyou

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The minimum requirement is OSX 10.5.8, Windows XP SP3, Vista or 7 with iTunes 10.5

So the short answer is that you'll have to upgrade to Leopard or beyond.

OP
rippersroo
Reaction score
ok thankyou, can i just upgrade for free from the apple website? or do i have to buy a Leopard disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You'll have to buy a disc. Major point OS releases tend not to be free.

You'd be better off going straight to Snow Leopard IMO (so long as you have an Intel based Mac).

Apple still sell it online (at least they do in the UK - you don't say where you are)

OP
rippersroo
Reaction score
thankyou. I am in Suffolk (East Coast), will my photos ect all stay on my computer when i get Snow Leopard or will it all be wiped off?

Ive just looked on apple website and it says:
"If you have OS X v10.5 Leopard, purchase OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard now and install it on your Mac"

But i don't even have leopard, does this mean i can go straight to snow leopard or do i have to have regualar leopard before hand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
thankyou. I am in Suffolk (East Coast), will my photos ect all stay on my computer when i get Snow Leopard or will it all be wiped off?
You are able to use the Apple program called Migration Assistant to transfer data however when updating your version (Especially in a big jump such as this) you should really be backing up everything to an external source (read: hard drive). I personally use Carbon Copy Cloner for this, it gets the job done.

Another thing that I would suggest (I did this recently) is when you update, start from a completely clean slate. This all depends on how tech-savvy and willing you are but I discovered loads of apps that made their way onto my Mac and I barely ever used them. I then transferred all my essentials from my external hard drive (My backup) and everything was hunky dory!

OP
rippersroo
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I think maybe a trip to the apple store will be in order to let the professionals do it! Im ashamed to say i know nothing about how to back up stuff all I'm worried about is losing photos and my iTunes library!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
However, your Mac has to have an intel processor and at least 1gig of RAM for Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.