Learning java on the mac, need help with error

Reaction score
Hello,

First post here and looking forward to exchanging good knowledge. I've decided to learn to program and have started with java, i'm using this book here: Amazon.com: Java, A Beginner's Guide, 5th Edition (9780071606325): Herbert Schildt: Books . I have a ˜2007 macbook that also loads xp through bootcamp and also virtualbox and haven't had issues doing the examples of the book on that OS.
However i can't run even the first example of the book on OS X (10.6.8). I'm able to compile it:

Code:
/*
   This is a simple Java program.

Call this file Example.java.
*/
class Example {
  // A Java program begins with a call to main().
  public static void main(String args[]) {
    System.out.println("Java drives the Web.");
  }
}

the error i get is:

Code:
Ales-MacBook:~ MacBook$ java /Users/MacBook/Documents/Java_coding/Example
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: /Users/MacBook/Documents/Java_coding/Example
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: .Users.MacBook.Documents.Java_coding.Example
	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

My machine is running java se 6.
Thoughts on how to fix this?
Thanks in advance!!

Alejandro

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Compiles and runs fine here. That's also the most basic app you could possibly write so it's not as if it's some fancy feature causing problems (you would have found out if this was the case at compile time).

The java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError exception is thrown when the class you specified isn't found. In other words, there's no Example.class file in /Users/MacBook/Documents/Java_coding/. Check your directories and try again.

OP
A
Reaction score
Strange, i know the file is there. In fact i ran this to compile it:

Code:
Ales-MacBook:~ MacBook$ javac /Users/MacBook/Documents/Java_coding/Example.java

Ales-MacBook:~ MacBook$ java /Users/MacBook/Documents/Java_coding/Example.class

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: /Users/MacBook/Documents/Java_coding/Example/class
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: .Users.MacBook.Documents.Java_coding.Example.class
Ales-MacBook:~ MacBook$

and that in fact produced the Example.class file as you can see above, but for some reason i can't run the program afterwards
Thanks for the advice Vansmith!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You need to exclude the .class extension when using java to run the application. I don't know why that's a requirement but it is.

What version of Java are you using? You can find this by running the following:
Code:
java -version

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, you're right i should have removed that as per the book, but even without it i still get the error:

Code:
Ales-MacBook:~ MacBook$ java /Users/MacBook/Documents/Java_coding/Example
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: /Users/MacBook/Documents/Java_coding/Example
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: .Users.MacBook.Documents.Java_coding.Example
Ales-MacBook:~ MacBook$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_29"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_29-b11-402-10M3527)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.4-b02-402, mixed mode)
Ales-MacBook:~ MacBook$

Thanks again!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, the solution is quite simple. First, "cd" into the directory and then execute java:
Code:
cd /Users/MacBook/Documents/Java_coding/
java Example
That should work. For some reason, java likes to be in the directory of the class (something to do with classpaths...my Java knowledge is weak).

This is why I hate Java and love Python. ;)

Reaction score
Well, since issue resolved, just a recommendation: why won't you code java in eclipse ? for java it is probably the best IDE out there (C++ is a little weird on it though).

Eclipse is free and very powerful + its very good for both the beginners and experienced users.

Compiling programs through terminal and writing programs in text editors, just seems like extra work and quite uncomfortable (IMHO).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could make the opposite argument that Eclipse is bloated and overkill for most novice programmers. I used it for a while for Python development only to return to a nice simple text editor. It's all a matter of preference I suppose.

Reaction score
hm, perhaps. To be honest I've tried very few IDE for java - the two that really pop in mind is eclipse and netbeans. But I strongly agree with you - it is a matter of preference :) I guess my point was that coding with IDE is better than writing in a text-editor and compiling it through terminal, which is what OP is doing.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Tonk. I had it in the back of my mind to test netbeans (wasn't aware of eclipse), but at this point in time i had not felt the need to do so. To be honest i didn't know what an IDE was until a few days ago but my reasoning at this point is to focus on what this book teaches and keep the rest as simple as possible.
And Vansmith thanks for the input on this subject too!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An IDE might be a nice addition to your process. They aren't overly complicated (at least not the basic stuff) and you will get simple access to the JDK through a GUI along with project management. It might not hurt to take a look since NetBeans and Eclipse are free.

Reaction score
No worries, just the thing is - it might be easy to write simple stuff in text editor, but it will be a hassle to write slightly more complicated stuff that involves multiple classes. I mean, when you're gonna have 20 classes or more -> have fun with plain text editors and compilers in terminal :) Thus, why not spend a little time now and learn about about IDE and start getting use to it? If you're decide to go further into development - that will save you so much time in future. If all you want to write simple stuff just for the fun of it -> yeah, you don't need to worry about IDE at all then. Again, IMHO :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolutely. Managing projects with multiple source files can be tedious in a simple text editor and that will be where an IDE shines. For a beginner though, it might be too complex (especially if the book doesn't use one).

However, as we both noted, it's all a matter of preference. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.