New member needs help - MacBook Pro suddenly slowed down to a crawl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I absolutely love my new MacBook Pro and totally converted my husband from PC to Mac!. One thing that I really love is the fact that it is so fast - or WAS. Suddenly, it pauses (the spinning wheel of death) when I type a long sentence, try to scroll, etc. This is especially problematic with AOL and Firefox.

All suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I absolutely love my new MacBook Pro and totally converted my husband from PC to Mac!. One thing that I really love is the fact that it is so fast - or WAS. Suddenly, it pauses (the spinning wheel of death) when I type a long sentence, try to scroll, etc. This is especially problematic with AOL and Firefox.

All suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance.

Two quick things:
1) open Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities) and then Repair Disk Permissions.
2) right click on your HD icon and Get Info. Look at disk free space. If it is significantly under 15% you will need to free up additional space

BTW: You haven't by any chance recently installed MacKeeper or AntiVirus program?
If so, that is likely your main problem. MacKeeper is trouble.

Reaction score
Slow macbook pro

Hi. I have just read a thread regarding the Macbook pro slowing down. One of the replys asked the question if Mackeeper had been installed as this is trouble. Could i ask why that is as i recently uploaded Mackeeper and found that it slowed down my Macbook pro.
I have deleted Mackeeper but i do not know if i have fully deleted it. Where should i go to fully delete Mackeeper. I just used Finder to bring up anything with Mackeeper and then sent them to Trash and deleted trashed items. Is that enough. I am not too savvie on computers so if anyone can help in simple terms that would be great. Thanks Chris. :|

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.