I could really use some opinions on a prospective trade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 6,2 / iMac 17" 2009, iPad, iPad2, iPhone 4
I have my MacBook Pro (Early 2011 15" - MC721LL/A - MacBookPro8,2) up for sale on CL because I wanted to buy the newer version which has the 2.2GHz processor.

I have had it up for sale for awhile now and dropped the price to the point where I just want to keep it. I do have a person who wants to do a straight up trade with me for his MacBook Air (Mid-2011 - BTO/CTO - MacBookAir4,2) This is the MC965LL/A but with the 1.8GHz processor versus the 1.7. He says it's brand new and has three years of Apple care on it (Which I confirmed).

I use my MacBook for my everyday laptop, to sync all my iDevices, photoshop for iPhone theming, picture editing and some video editing. Honestly I edit very little video but encode a lot but I use my PC desktop for that. Are there things that this MacBook Air cannot do that my current laptop can?

I do not game on my MacBook though I would if there something compelling for me to play. Can one play games on the MacBook Air? Will I have to keep most of my music on an external HD? Is this going to be a hassle as far dealing iTunes libraries?

I guess I am just scared that if I trade it I will regret having 500GB of space and being able to do most anything a desktop can.

I value any input. This guy wants to trade tonight or tomorrow. What should I do.....:p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I do have a person who wants to do a straight up trade with me for his MacBook Air (Mid-2011 - BTO/CTO - MacBookAir4,2) This is the MC965LL/A but with the 1.8GHz processor versus the 1.7. He says it's brand new and has three years of Apple care on it (Which I confirmed).

The CTO/BTO 13" 1.8ghz MacBook Air currently sells for $1699...the 15" Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0ghz i7 is currently selling at the Apple Store (refurbished) for $1359:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

So it would seem (from a "price tag" point of view) that the MacBook Air would be the better deal.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The CTO/BTO 13" 1.8ghz MacBook Air currently sells for $1699...the 15" Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0ghz i7 is currently selling at the Apple Store (refurbished) for $1359:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

So it would seem (from a "price tag" point of view) that the MacBook Air would be the better deal.:)

- Nick

Oh, there is no doubt that part at all. I know what they are selling for. I guess I was/am just worried about losing functionality. I wouldnt know how to set up the new MacBook Air as it has a 256GB HD and mine a 500GB with only 100GB left. I am used to just putting my new computer next to my old one and transferring the data or using time machine. I would have to use time machine in this case but I wouldnt know how to do that due to the size of the back-up etc.

I am so conflicted! Thanks for the reply though. Is it hard to keep my iTunes my library on an external HD and still sync my phones and ipads with my computer?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it were ME, I would keep the MBP. Better video chipset, larger internal drives, more ports.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies guys. I am still up in the air and have to decide by tonight. I am leaning towards keeping what I have though :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the replies guys. I am still up in the air and have to decide by tonight. I am leaning towards keeping what I have though :)

Personally I would keep the MacBook Pro as well. The MacBook Air's are nice...but they have their limitations (can't upgrade the ram, can't upgrade the storage, and no DVD drive). If I had to choose between a MacBook Pro & a MacBook Air...I would choose the MacBook Pro every time (similar vintages). If I could have both...then I would take one of each!;)

I also prefer the larger display of the MacBook Pro (15" in your case)...versus the 13" MacBook Air.

But that's just me:)...other folks would snap up a MacBook Air immediately.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
From a layman's point of view I'd keep the MacBook. I was considering buying a new Apple laptop recently and looked at all options. I saw some good deals on the Air but unless you intend to carry the thing around a lot and want to save weight/space, I don't see why you would choose it over the MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.