• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple sees 'huge opportunity' in Brazil

Reaction score
Apple sees 'huge opportunity' in Brazil

brasil-flag-cjr.jpg

Apple's next emerging market might not be in Asia, but in South America. During the company's recent earnings conference call, Apple CEO Tim Cook identified Brazil as one of Apple's future growth areas. "I think there's a huge opportunity for us there, and we've more than begun to go deeper into Brazil," Cook said. "But I don't want to signal that that means that Apple retail will be there, because I don't envision that occurring in the near term."

As noted by GigaOm, Brazil is an extremely populous country with over 200 million people, and its economy is the best in all of South America. Per capita income in Brazil isn't great compared to the US, but it compares quite favorably against China, which has been Apple's biggest international success story thus far.

One potential sticking point exists for increasing Apple's Brazilian sales, however. Currently, Brazilians pay some of the highest prices in the world for Apple gear. At launch, an unsubsidized 16 GB iPhone 4S cost the equivalent of more than US$1,400 in Brazil, compared to $849 for a 64 GB model in the US. Those breathtakingly high prices may be due to a number of factors, including Brazil's high import duties, but if Apple is going to attempt to get the kind of traction in Brazil it's seen in China, those prices are going to have to drop significantly.

Apple sees 'huge opportunity' in Brazil originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Blimey, what are the im import duties for Brazil, and are they some sort of retaliation for farm subsidies in the USA and Europe.

Reaction score
That's all great for Apple and Mr. Cook. But there is also a huge opportunity in Puerto Rico and still we don't have an Apple Store here. Even if Mr. Cook doesn't want to make one here, at least let the folks in Puerto Rico purchase online! If we can have a Victoria's Secret store down here (the first in all this hemisphere), why can't we have an Apple Store. We're american citizens by birth right, but are treated like Puerto Rico didn't exist on the map. It's ridiculous!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
I have to point out that the lack of an Apple Store is in no way an American right...

Secondly, the first Victoria Secret store in your hemisphere was in Palo Alto, because it was the first Victoria Secret store ever...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This isn't surprising in the least. Brazil has the 7th largest economy in the world and a population of 190+ million people. Sure, the economy isn't the greatest per capita but if Apple can succeed in China, it can succeed in Brazil.
That's all great for Apple and Mr. Cook. But there is also a huge opportunity in Puerto Rico and still we don't have an Apple Store here. Even if Mr. Cook doesn't want to make one here, at least let the folks in Puerto Rico purchase online! If we can have a Victoria's Secret store down here (the first in all this hemisphere), why can't we have an Apple Store. We're american citizens by birth right, but are treated like Puerto Rico didn't exist on the map. It's ridiculous!
Brazil has a much greater purchasing power than Puerto Rico will ever have not to mention that it has a population nearly 52 times the size. Simply put, Apple is a business and this makes business sense. As a business, it has to have priorities and I'm sure most (if not all) businesses would rather develop traction in Brazil.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.