Repairing start-up disk from OSX install disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.6.8/ 21.5 ' iMac i7/ 2TB HDD/ 12GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
Hi guys,

I use a program called "Maintenance" and upon running it (after backing up), it stated:

"The volume needs to be repaired. To repair your start-up disk, start your Mac from the OSX install disc."

So, I loaded the OSX install disc, re-start my Mac whilst holding down the "c" key,

But...I get a grey screen with a bunch of code on the top left and a message stating I need to restart by holding down the power button.

Anyone have ideas how I boot from the disc?

My system specs are left and in my signature below.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you're running Snow Leopard and not Lion....

First, make sure the disk you're using to start the machine is the original Snow Leopard recovery - install DVD that came with your machine in the box. If it is, try holding down your option key after hearing the chime and select the DVD to startup from. After which you should be able to run Disk Utility from the top menu "Utilities".

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.6.8/ 21.5 ' iMac i7/ 2TB HDD/ 12GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
Thanks chscag! I'm a dumbass...I accidentally mixed up my install disks; was trying to use my older Leopard install disk, not the Snow Leopard disk.

Live and learn... :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.