Struggling with pdf download from website

Reaction score
Hello. I am having difficulty downloading pdf files from the Internet. May have started (not sure) when I upgraded Safari. It appears that the website attempts to download the pdf but I get a black screen without the document. When using the option to download directly to desktop, it works for some sites but not others. For those that do not work, it downloads a useless track.php.html file. I googled the problem and could not find this particular issue. First time poster so I apologize if I am in the wrong forum. Thanks !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about posting the URL of one of the websites you're attempting to download from so we can run some tests?

A bit of info: Downloading a PDF is just a matter of selecting it and using the save command. Updating Safari should make no difference. But if you feel there is a problem with Safari, try using another browser as a test. Firefox or Chrome for example.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you installed any plugins lately? I ask because, by default, Safari has a built in PDF viewer and I've seen problems occur when there are plugin conflicts.

OP
N
Reaction score
Here are an example:

https://www.cags-accg.ca/ebrs_crs_online/monthly_articles.php

Not positive it will let you in because it is a password-protected site. I am looking to download the pdf article entitled: Sleep Deprivation in Surgeons under January 2012. But I have the same issues with any of the pdf files on this page. If this does not work, I will try to find another example.

I do not think I have downloaded any plug-ins recently but am not positive.

Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Provide another example web site as that one is for members only. Also, have you tried another browser as I suggested above? It's always a good idea to keep a spare browser on hand just for occasions when you think it's a browser problem.

OP
N
Reaction score
Maybe we can try this. Go to ASCRS: American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. (ASCRS = fascrs.org) In the column on the right toward the bottom is a link to Evidence Based Reviews in Surgery. When you click on that link the same thing happens. Black page. I do not know if this is a pdf file, but this is what happens. And not all pdf files are a problem. Just the ones I seem to need to download. I am able to successfully download from one of the hospital PCs but I would like to do it with my Mac. When I try Firefox, I get a page with a question mark in the middle surrounded by a Q. I am not making this easy, am I. Thanks again.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In the meantime, use Chrome since it has a built in PDF viewer. That will give you a workable browser until this problem is fixed (unless of course you choose to stay with Chrome).

As noted above, have you installed any plugins lately?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just went to that site and clicked on the link you suggested. It opened with Safari and it opened OK again when I used Chrome. There must be something else going on with your system.

C

chas_m

Chances are high that at some point the OP installed the dreaded Acrobat Reader and its default plug-in. That's a heck of a mess to clean up (shakes fist at Adobe).

OP
N
Reaction score
Sorry vansmith. I am not computer savvy and am not sure about plug-ins. I have updated Acrobat Reader a couple times and if that includes a plug-in, that may be the case. I vaguely remember now that the problem may have started around the time I updated Acrobat Reader. I will try Chrome and will stop by the Apple Store to see if there is anything else I can do about Acrobat. Thanks again to all of you.

OP
N
Reaction score
Downloading Chrome solved the problem and it works much faster than Safari on my computer. You guys rock. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.