Thinking Of Switching To A Mac/Apple Computer

Reaction score
So I think I might switch to a Mac or Apple computer. I have a few questions about them because I have only used a Apple once.

So basically what's the difference between Mac and Apple? Is it features or are they completely different?

Why are the ones on Apple.com so expensive? They are like thousands of dollars just for the basic ones. Why would I buy one if I have a basic PC I can get for 200 dollars?

I like gaming on my computer and are they compatible? I want to run them on my new computer.

And overall whats better; Mac, Apple, Pc, Or that penguin one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Um...

Apple and Mac are the same thing. Apple is a company and it makes Mac computers.

You would buy one for it's very safe and stable operating system. It's really well thought out design. Even it's warranty and customer support.

Some of them work well for games, but I will admit that I don't play games on mine ever, so I am kinda useless for info on that one.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm not sure that I understand this post - or if it has an agenda. If you don't know anything about Apple, or Mac - why would you be considering getting one? If the $200 PC fits your needs - that's exactly what I recommend you get.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'd say go for the penguin one. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The main difference is a more stable and efficient OS that isn't plagued by security issues or a Windows-like registry. A sturdy, beautiful unibody aluminum design vs. a clunky chunk of plastic. But that's just for starters. It depends on what you want to use it for.

Why buy a Lexus when a Hyundai is so much cheaper? Why buy a Sony Vaio when a Dell is hundreds of dollars less?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The people that buy Mac computers is the stability of the OS that Apple writes and the integration into the Hardware that they design. And on the design part, be it the iMac or a notebook they are a joy to look at which IMHO makes the experience so more enjoyable which in turn you do a lot more work because as someone once said "It just works"

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So I think I might switch to a Mac or Apple computer. I have a few questions about them because I have only used a Apple once.

So basically what's the difference between Mac and Apple? Is it features or are they completely different?

Why are the ones on Apple.com so expensive? They are like thousands of dollars just for the basic ones. Why would I buy one if I have a basic PC I can get for 200 dollars?

I like gaming on my computer and are they compatible? I want to run them on my new computer.

And overall whats better; Mac, Apple, Pc, Or that penguin one?

... a hidden agenda? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Actually, you should look into getting a Mauve computer - it is 100% compatible with all of everything...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
If you are comfortable with the $200 pc that is fine, we are not some religious cult that wants you to convert. The best bet is to go to your nearest apple store or wherever you can get hold of apple products. See how you feel than go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
The best bet is to go to your nearest apple store or wherever you can get hold of apple products. See how you feel than go from there.

Careful with that, my Dad didn't think too much of the iPad… till he actually got the chance to play with one :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Careful with that, my Dad didn't think too much of the iPad… till he actually got the chance to play with one :D

You have a smart dad, he sure does not want to be stuck in the dark ages of
the computing world. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.